Author Topic: Compression Vests, foam pads, and showering after Surgery  (Read 4018 times)

Offline 1234567

• Posting Member
After my surgery, my doctor instructed me to continue wearing the compression vest placed on me for three weeks, with no showering for the first week. It has now been over two weeks, and I have not showered, as I am afraid of disloging the foam pads that are underneath the compresion vest and glued onto my skin, because without them I fear the vest would be too loose (it has stretched out in these past two weeks, and I have tightened the velcro as much as possible to attempt to compensate).

Have I made a mistake in not showering off the glue and surgical tape for this length of time - could this cause scaring or some other problem? Should I still be wearing the foam pads, and do pads and a vest provide the same kind of necessary compression that a tighter vest would? And if not, do I need to buy a new compression vest from the internet (again, because I think this one would be too loose without the pads)?

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
Dude, you must smell horrible.  Sorry I didn't answer your question...I'm not qualified on that topic.

Offline Fatboyslim

• Bronze Member
    • Running For My Existence
I also had foam pads placed on my chest after surgery which took place on a Friday. I was told to not shower for 48 hours but after that it would be fine. I met up with my doctor the following Monday (3 days) and he suggested that I shower every day as it would help the foam pads come off easier and suggested a blow dryer to dry them off. I met him the following Friday (7 days after surgery) and he removed them with very little pain.

Every doctor has their own opinion but I would be interested to see what the general consensus is. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024