Author Topic: A Good Death  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
I have been thinking about death a little bit lately as I sometimes do. I was wondering how do you want to die as far as deaths go?

I think the ideal answer for most people these days would be as an old man dying in his sleep. This is fine for most I think, seems good. Long life, painless end, no long awfull disease. I hope to maybe enjoy that one day as well.

www.studentbmj.com defines a good death as:

"Principles of a good death

To know when death is coming, and to understand what can be expected

To be able to retain control of what happens

To be afforded dignity and privacy

To have control over pain relief and other symptom control

To have choice and control over where death occurs (at home or elsewhere)

To have access to information and expertise of whatever kind is necessary

To have access to any spiritual or emotional support required

To have access to hospice care in any location, not only in hospital

To have control over who is present and who shares the end

To be able to issue advance directives which ensure wishes are respected

To have time to say goodbye, and control over other aspects of timing

To be able to leave when it is time to go, and not to have life prolonged pointlessly "

This seems very long and elaborate way, perhaps the unexpected is better. I never liked the long goodbye, nor would I enjoy all the sad family and friends. On the other hand I would also like to say goodbye to myself and my earthly body.

A truely great death would, in my opinion, to die fighting for what you belive in. A kind of suicide making a last stand for what you belive in. Dying in battle would be a great way to go, but these days it is no longer a viable option like it once was. Gone are the days of ancient and medieval warfare where heroes like Constantine XI  died:

"Mehmed II offered Constantine XI the chance to rule in Mistra before the siege of Constantinople, but he refused, preferring to fight and die defending his empire. His wish would come true, as he was killed while defending the walls of Constantinople on May 29, 1453. The Emperor, when realising that the end had come, discarded his purple cloak and charged into the breach. Some sources record that he was only recognized afterwards by his purple boots; others that the Turks were never able to identify his body, and so the last Emperor of Rome was buried in a mass grave along with his soldiers. "

None of us chose our end. We must all wait and see what will happen.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
on nice profane note, you might know the quote, "i want to die like my grandpa did, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers"  ;)  

you want some seriously interesting reading, explore this site:  http://www.near-death.com  or http://www.iands.org

what's interesting is that even the painful deaths are limited in how bad it gets.  and you read people describe what it was like to observe their body completely shut down and everything, and then they have an obe with fully conscious absolute peace.  the weird part is when you read about people supposedly choosing how they're going to die (would you really want a darwin awards finish?) but it may be something we can't understand here.  i just hope i manage to clean things up acceptably so other people don't have to take forever doing it for me.  

very few people have a real handle on not being afraid like those who've left and come back and know what it's like, they even say they look forward to it as long as they live the life they're supposed to here first.  i have my issues with life (gyne is a big one), but i worry less about dying right these days and much more about living right.  

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:28:40 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
i hope i'm eatin by crocodiles

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Anyhere APART from a hospital.They are full of sick people ;D

I had to go in recently because i got injured and here is the conversation with the doctor.

Doctor : why are your shoulders stiff?

Me  : because I am nervous

Doctor: Why?

Me :because i don't like hospitals or doctors.No offence

Doctor: Well i completely understand that I don't like them either. ;D

Offline sportfriend

• Posting Member
hahahahaha cheers

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024