Author Topic: Question for people that have had surgery...  (Read 2806 times)

Offline jlach

I've been saving for a long time to have the surgery, and finally found a doctor that I feel comfortable with. I wanted to know, from those that have had surgery, how it affects you psychologically? As of right now, having had this for as long as i can remember, it is taking a tremendous psychological toll on me. I am almost totally lacking self confidence and am constantly depressed. I would assume that the effect surgery would have would be unbelievable. Like being a totally different person. It would feel so weird to wear a white shirt. Just a single shirt, and not have to worry about people staring. I'm skinny and can't get rid of these things, and living in Austin, just wearing two shirts in the 100 degree heat makes people stare.

Offline xelnaga13

Excellent question.

Im currently 26. I had gyno surgery about a year ago. Im thrilled with my results. They also motivated me to get back into physical fitness and living a healthy life style. It's also nice to wear lighter colored tight shirts and not have prominent nipples.

I did experience a strange sense of sadness/anxiety after they were removed. I guess because the surgery was so dramatic as far as before/after. I think the fact that I had surgery 30 days after finding out insurance would actually allow me to afford it... I didnt have a lot of time to process because I didnt want to get my hopes up if I couldnt afford it.

I still think about my chest a few dozen times a day. Sometimes I revert back to my old insecurities when picking out a t shirt. I also deal with the fear of gyno coming back... thats a daily paranoia.

In reference to your story, part of the human condition is to pick one part of ourselves to be completely insecure about. There are plenty of happy and  confident men with gyno on this board. So gyno surgery is not a cure all for depression and insecurity. Those issues you will need to overcome.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Looking at your question from the surgeon's perspective, I can state a few things most emphatically.

Nothing can make me happier than the first post op visit, when the patient comes into the office with the broadest imaginable grin on his face.  The many stories I have heard about wearing snugger clothing, no more teasing, no more embarrassment -- all go with the grin.

Most patients will look at their pre-op photos in my chart and say they never thought they looked that bad.

Over time, your mind will forget what you used to look like and your self-image will adopt the new contours.

In sum, I derive immense satisfaction in seeing how I have significantly improved the lives of these men.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
I will take a mixed perspective.

I think while many get ideal and dramatic results quickly and therefore find the peace and contentment that come with this - others have a road to travel for a while even after surgery.

Physically speaking - Not all results are ideal after surgery, even looking through the before and after photos on the doctors websites (that are experts here) you can see some of their patients are  "wow!" and "holy cow!" results and other photos they show are more like "okay". All look better of course, a matter of view point on how great the change was. Also the men vary in how extreme the case was, how old they are, and their weight. So the results may or may not be ideal that we get form surgery. A few here post some photos of real complications and less than good results.

Mentally/emotionally - speaking you also see some of us guys having trouble processing the results. That is either they had very high expectations, or body image issues, or don't see that they do look better after surgery.  In other words you read posts "the surgery did not well for me, I still look bad" but then some of us see their before/after photos and go "wow - i wish I had the chest your complaining about" or they get compliments from friends or others who don't know they had the surgery - but still can't accept it. Or there is a minor/ flaw in the results, and they focus on that. Both the final physical improvement and the emotional one, my take months or longer.

Knowing this, after 11/12 weeks post op, I have struggled with a mixture of many of these thoughts and emotions about my results. But there is no regret here in getting the surgery.

Offline Pearlsnap

• Posting Member
I had surgery on May 31st and i wouldnt hesitate to do it again. I feel a lot more confident about how i look. 

Offline Showtime620

• Silver Member
Jlach - we all feel that way, man.  And it sucks.  Get the surgery.  You won't regret it.

Offline Cant_Believe_It

• Posting Member
It was the best decision i ever made.  My life is totally different now... I look great in a tight shirt, n the girls know it..  now I date nothing but hotties.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
I look great in a tight shirt, n the girls know it..  now I date nothing but hotties.

lol, that's what I call a good post op outcome!

jlach, I think the best way to describe it is freedom! the freedom to wear any t shirt and look good in it, freedom not to worry if your moobs are on show when you go out. Ive been swimming, sunbathing, going to the gym in a vest, all kinds of things I was too self conscious to do before, now they are a breeze.

Really though the best answer is probably greatlakes answer a lot of real advice in that.

Offline abs1

• Posting Member
Man, pre-op I used to wear this grey sweater like 24/7 because I was so ashamed. I would even walk slouched so that my gyne wasn't as prominent. I was too afraid to work out because of it and gained weight as a result. I was miserable for about 14 years.

Now at 27 and post op, I don't even think about it no more. I mean I guess I was lucky as my chest came out absolutely perfect. I threw away the baggy black shirts and bought tight form fitting light colored tees. I walk with my chest out prominently and mentally I feel like im hot stuff. The only thing that sucks to me sometimes is that I think back at how long I suffered with it, why I couldn't have just been normal to begin with, it's only fleeting though.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024