Author Topic: Looking for NHS advice  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Mookie

Hi, I’m looking for some advice from patients or surgeons who have experience with the NHS in the UK. I have had issues since teens with gynecomastia and over the years have battled with losing weight and gaining muscle to combat the problem. I have experienced the joking from friends or random people about needing a sports bra or people grabbing you and making smart comments. Although in decent shape I’ve never been confident to take my tshirt off, on holiday I will go as far as to sunbathe with a tshirt off but as soon as I sit up I will put a tshirt on.

A year and a half ago I ended up with a growth in tissue that was painful and went through the breast clinic to get it scanned etc. I was told this was just a hormone fluctuation and can happen, I persevered for 3-4 months and it didn’t subside so was prescribed tamoxifen for 3 months which reduced the tissue lump and I carried on as before. However this flared up again in October last year for no apparent reason, again I went through the usual wait and see, nothing went down, this time there seemed to be more tissue and the other side was also sensitive. I seen a consultant at the breast clinic in January (long story, last time they had said if it flares up again to ask for a repeat prescription but my doctor was reluctant without another check). I seen a different consultant this time, explained the situation and he asked what I wanted, I said the obvious which was this to be gone! He prescribed another 3 month tamoxifen but said did I want surgery, he said I had two proper wedges and tissue. Up until this point I hadn’t considered this as being a viable option, he explained that based on the fact I wasn’t overweight, didn’t drink or smoke that I would tick all the boxes.

Three weeks later and I receive a letter apologising for no contact but it seems that the consultant omitted to add my BMI and I need to contact the hospital with my weight and height and they will be able to advise if they can help. This wording concerns me, I had previously looked online and had read that the NHS have stringent BMI criteria. Now BMI for me is not good, I lift weights 5 times a week, do some cardio and walk over 10k steps a day, I’m not unfit (my lifts are decent for someone natural and I am reasonable at bodyweight exercises, I can planche with feet wide, pullup with a 50kg weight etc, so I’m functionally strong) . However currently my weight is about 89kg and I am probably 19% bodyfat. My current BMI is 28, which shows as overweight.

Based on the fact I will be supplying the information over the phone I’m concerned that it will be a straight no on BMI alone. So my plan is to provide an aspirational weight, I don’t see this being a problem as I’m assuming I would still wait 6weeks plus for an appointment. Based on that I could realistically say 84kg with 6weeks to lose 5kg (I don’t see this being an issue). However my wife thinks I should over egg it as an 84kg would still be a BMI of 26.5 and classed as overweight and this is too easy to still say no to. Based on my height if the criteria is a BMI of 25 (classed as top end of weight range) I would need to achieve a weight of 79.5kg, surely I would not need to take it this far?

Based on peoples experience of the NHS and my situation I’d be very appreciative for any advice.

Thanks

Offline Mookie

I found a document that states the requirement is 20-27 BMI. Although it is 2011, has anyone experience of this document?

‘ The Adult Exceptional Aesthetic Referral Protocol (AEARP)
September 2011’

http://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/mels/CEL2011_27.pdf

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024