Author Topic: Turnover Flaps to Prevent Cratering ?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
I noticed on Dr. Robert Caridi's website where he states that in cases where he attempts to remove the gland completely he uses "turnover flaps" to prevent the cratering defect.

Is this the same as fat flaps??

He also states that he typically will leave a small amount of gland behind to prevent cratering except in cases where there is a likely chance of recurrence. In these cases he attempts to remove it completely.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon who does a fair amount of gynecomastia surgery is well aware of the potential for post op crater deformities.  Each surgeon approaches it in a different way.  For example, my technique tends to remove virtually all breast tissue under the areola, and then fix any potential cratering by performing fat flaps (in this case, fat advancement flaps rather than turnover fat flaps) to provide a smooth contour.

What counts, ultimately, is the best possible result for the patient -- not the specific technique that was used by the surgeon to get that particular result.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
Thanks so much for the reply Dr. Jacobs.  I asked the question due to the fact that gynecomastia has caused me considerable pain and sensitivity over the past three years. I would like as much of the gland to be removed as possible so long as it does not leave me with a severe crater defect.

I have an upcoming surgery booked with Dr. Pope in 3 weeks and will communicate this desire to him.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024