Author Topic: Ancient Greek Statue  (Read 502 times)

Offline tryingtoaccept

• Silver Member
  • Nothing is impossible, merely expensive.
I just found this on a Facebook group called Hellenic History.  I did not know this statue existed and thought you guys would like to see it.  It is listed as a statue of a hermaphrodite.
Redfox 🦊

Offline taxmapper

Isnt it interesting that hermaphroditism has been known and celyfor thousands of years? 

And it was made an issue only in this past decade?

Offline tryingtoaccept

• Silver Member
Taxmapper, yes it is very interesting.  This was obviously something that was looked at as a physical trait that should be immortalized in stone.  Like you said, it is obviously modern society that seems to have the biggest problem with gyno and mixed sexual characteristics.

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
It's been around a long as humans have existed, and even before in our distant pre-human relatives. 

Strange how people make such a big deal out of it now. 🙄
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline Gotboobs

• Silver Member
They made it political for their own personal gain...both sides.
Everything they touch turns to sheeeeeet!

Offline tryingtoaccept

• Silver Member
It's been around a long as humans have existed, and even before in our distant pre-human relatives.

Strange how people make such a big deal out of it now. 🙄
True, I guess modern people love to complain and be offended at everything.

Offline Justagirl💃

They made it political for their own personal gain...both sides.
Everything they touch turns to sheeeeeet!
If you want to screw something up, just make it a "political talking point".

Offline taxmapper

When having read the info on this through many multiple sources, an article published in the late 1880's about hermaphrodites on the Navajo Reservation pointed out unusual characteristics on how the Navajo Culture dealt with hermaphrodites and that they are considered special people and are a blessing to the family. 
Usually becoming administrative though not direct decision makers. 
They deal with tribal finances, advisers to war counsels, community leaders etc. 

They are allowed more sexual freedom and within the culture a certain level of permissible promiscuity to either side. 

At least how it is told. 

This falls in line with Greek sources that celebrate hermaphrodites as leaders and top level folks with similar allowances. 

Within Roman era, hermaphodites held somewhat similar positions but were also looked to someone for specific entertainment.  Typically sexual in nature but male sided hermaphodites were encouraged to play female roles in plays. 

But probably the one thing that still sticks out is that hermaphroditism doesn't just affect breasts and sex organs, but the whole of the body. 

As we previously posted, typical male and female characteristics including skeletal, muscular, fat distribution, etc are a mixed bag. 

Offline Justagirl💃

But probably the one thing that still sticks out is that hermaphroditism doesn't just affect breasts and sex organs, but the whole of the body.
I have noticed that lately as my hair grows out that even dressed androgynous without makeup I can't pass as "male". I will still be addressed as ma'am in a button-up shirt/blouse and shorts.

My extra parts just made my body grow feminine in nature.
People pick up on it when they first see me.

Offline tryingtoaccept

• Silver Member
late 1880's hermaphrodites and that they are considered special people and are a blessing to the family.
Usually becoming administrative though not direct decision makers.
They deal with tribal finances, advisers to war counsels, community leaders etc.

They are allowed more sexual freedom and within the culture a certain level of permissible promiscuity to either side.

At least how it is told. 
Very interesting Taxmapper, It shows that older societies had much more appreciation for the variations of the human body.  The body is a marvelous thing and our modern society can learn a lot from the past generations and societies.  The human body should be appreciated in all it’s variations.

Offline gotgyne

I've seen such statues long ago. There are two possibilities: Such a person was used as a model. But it could be also that it was the phantasy of the sculptor, who wished that such a person should exist.
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline gotgyne

Gynecomastia also was present in ancient Egypt.
https://www.myheimat.de/pattensen/c-gedanken/sollten-maenner-bhs-tragen_a2176578
This is a statue of Hemiunu at the Roemer-Pelizaeus-Museum at Hildesheim in Northern Germany.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiunu
The headline of the article in the first link asks : "Should men wear bras?"

Offline Justagirl💃

https://www.myheimat.de/pattensen/c-gedanken/sollten-maenner-bhs-tragen_a2176578
This is a statue of Hemiunu at the Roemer-Pelizaeus-Museum at Hildesheim in Northern Germany.
First link states: "men over 50 can experience breast growth up to a B cup and beyond. It's medically called gynecomastia. "

Offline gotgyne

First link states: "men over 50 can experience breast growth up to a B cup and beyond. It's medically called gynecomastia. "
That's right.
And a man (Gerd E.) commented on the article: "That seemed strange to me at first. But now I wear a bra every day and feel comfortable with it .... and feel comfortable with it. That's exactly what matters."

Offline taxmapper

I always use WWII as the cutoff point, where the Military industrial Complex took over education during and after the war. 

The people running that discovered unparalleled power over a huge swath of our culture. 
To you guys across the pond this applies as well to a slightly diff. degree. 

But education prior to WWII involved critical thinking, whereas after the fact it became the 'Nuclear Future Model" of Mom-Dad, kids house, dog car mantra. The Traditional family and 100,000 years of knowledge of human biology was squashed to a template of the making of a few power hungry types who wanted to impose their own views of the world. 

Even up around 2010 the very concept of hermaphroditism was looked upon as an oddity and fetish but not unheard of. 

Then the TRA movement took hold and it got caught up in a Lib. v Cons. ideological mess. Now 'sceptics" and those who use 'reason" say they don't exist except as a mental disorder. 

If you are, you are. There is no politics involved.  But until this mess blows over, dies out, or squashed by something more "important" for the day, were in a tidal storm of stupidity. 

IMO I probably am because as previously stated, if you take male and female biological aspects and put them into a checklist, I am outwardly male, and obviously so, but have a good number of female checkmarks. 

Not just estrogen laden fat movement, but actual structural differences that tend to lean girl. 

Knowing abut his in more detail actually answers old questions and makes me feel more at ease to some of the issues I have had. 

Strangely enough, I wish at times that the girls take over and just push me all the way over to the Fem side. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024