Author Topic: Effect of vest / undergarment before surgery.  (Read 3179 times)

Offline gyne35

• Posting Member
I'm considering going in just after the first of the year for surgery.  My grand plan is that about 3 months before going in  (October - when cool weather sets in and heavy clothes come out) I'll casually announce to co-workers and friends that I am re-doubling my diet and exercise efforts.  Shortly thereafter, I plan to start wearing under armor shirts with a little compression and gradually move up to a little tighter and more compressive shirts the closer I get to surgery.  My main goal is to prevent a "big boobs one day - gone the next" scenario that would surely raise suspicions and questions I would rather not have to answer.

I'm curious if this 'pre-surgery compression' will in any way hinder (or help) the surgery process or recovery?

Offline Don Won I

• Bronze Member
I don't think so, but is your chest really that noticeable? Your plan sounds a bit excessive.

Offline gyne35

• Posting Member
Yep, they are a 'bit' excessive - I've lost 8 lbs since those pics a month ago, but, of course, not in the boobs.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,11175.0.html

Maybe best just to ask the specific PS.  I was just curious if anyone else had done or tried the same thing.

DrBermant

I'm considering going in just after the first of the year for surgery.  My grand plan is that about 3 months before going in  (October - when cool weather sets in and heavy clothes come out) I'll casually announce to co-workers and friends that I am re-doubling my diet and exercise efforts.  Shortly thereafter, I plan to start wearing under armor shirts with a little compression and gradually move up to a little tighter and more compressive shirts the closer I get to surgery.  My main goal is to prevent a "big boobs one day - gone the next" scenario that would surely raise suspicions and questions I would rather not have to answer.

I'm curious if this 'pre-surgery compression' will in any way hinder (or help) the surgery process or recovery?
We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while waiting for surgery or until stabilization of a problem.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

There is a theoretical advantage for the person losing weight.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  These garments are designed to help with pressure and scar evolution.  With weight loss, there is the issue of skin shrinkage.  Pressure may help.  However, there are no studies to evaluate such issues.  Trying to desing such a study is difficult if not impossible.

You can see actual examples of Compression Chest Contouring Without Surgery for different types of gynecomastia here:

Compression Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Body Shaping for Puffy Nipples

Body Shaping Compression Contouring for Overweight Male - This one shows the Black Vest in use.

Body Shaper Compression Garment for Severly Obese Male

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

After surgery compression garments do not do well in pool water or sea water.  The salt or chlorine can damage the fabric.  There are Sun Protection Clothing Options designed for water use. 

A wet suit can also help.  Using a thin neoprene like Microprene can flatten the chest in water like a compression garment can help on land.  The after surgery garments do not work well in water, the wet suits do.  Both can be hot to wear, that is why I prefer a very thin garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024