Author Topic: Intro + question about Hurlinham clinic  (Read 2499 times)

Offline capello

• Posting Member
 I thought I'd better introduce myself before asking my question... I'm 26 and have had gyno since about the age of 14, I've always been involved in sports and fitness so its always anoyed me that I didn't feel confident to wear certain t shirts and take my top off on holidays, when, if it wasn't for my gyno I would be in pretty good shape... I work in a typically male dominated enviroment and have on occaisons been teased about my man boobs.  I had thought about surgery before but was put off by the cost, BUT.. I have decided enough is enough, its time to get this sorted and get on with my life... :)

So.. I've phoned around a few places and have booked myself in at the Hurlingham clinic next week for the initial consultation.  I've read some mixed reviews of the hurligham clinic on this board,  but I was taken in by the cost more than anything else, I was told it will be £3k if the surgeon dosen't consider it to be  major (in which case I assume it will cost more), and also the fact that the procedure could potentially be done 2 weeks after the consultation.  I'm booked in with Dr Sorenson, does anyone know anything about/have any experiences with dr Sorenson? 

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
I would not let cost be a major factor, check if any revision is required then will it be done free of charge. It is an operation that the surgeon needs to be doing on a regular basis.

Keep us posted on what you are doing, this is definately the best place for experience and advice.
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

Offline capello

• Posting Member
Thanks Jock, I know the initial consultation is £60, I will try to ascertain whether the surgeon carries out gyno ops on a regular basis, is there anything else I should look for, or questions I should be asking?

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
load of questions, write down everything you think off, a lot will be answered by reading this board.

Mr Benito from Barcelona consults in London and his consultation is free, Dr. Karidis charges £75 but you make the cheque payable to the local hospice. Surgery costs in the region of £4k. If you send photos to benito he will do a consultation over the phone.

You need to find out how many they do per year, what they propose to do to you, see before and after photos of their work, but on thinking about it, how does anybody know that it is their work??

I seen Dr. Karidis last week and had a small note pad with loads of Q on it, I just ripped it up this afternoon.

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
I was told it will be £3k if the surgeon dosen't consider it to be  major (in which case I assume it will cost more), and also the fact that the procedure could potentially be done 2 weeks after the consultation. 

To be fair, they really should be any change in costs dependant on the severity of your case, unless they're removing skin.  Don't let price be your over-riding guide, if they get it wrong it would cost a lot more to correct.  As mentioned previously see proof of other operations, before, during, after 3/6/12 months - you need to question them as much as they question you!

I found this on a surgeons website the other day, quite a good quote. 

"Plastic Surgery is not magic, it is real surgery. While a great deal can frequently be accomplished the patient and surgical team must understand each other to develop an effective surgical plan in order to carry out the patient's wishes. They will work together before, during and after surgery to achieve the best possible outcome with the greatest safety.

Patients must understand the limitations of what is possible and collaborate to follow the surgical plan through to completion. None of us wants an unhappy patient or an imperfect surgical result. We all want things to be "just right" every time but that would not be surgery, that would be magic. Nature takes over once the operation is finished and healing begins."

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024