Author Topic: Taking the next step  (Read 3490 times)

bikerbob

It looks like I am heading for wearing a bra full time.  I have been wearing a cheap sports bra for mountain biking for some time.  One of  my breasts is a bit larger than the other one and lately has become very uncomfortable when it isn't supported.  I have spent the past week or so wearing a bra for 12 hours at a time to see if I could pull it off, including trips to Home Depot and the grocery store.  I usually wear baggy tees anyhow and didn't notice anybody looking at me funny so I think I can do this.  My wife was completely unaware so if I can fool her, I can fool anybody.  I came home the other day and took off the bra, then immediately put it back on because it was more comfortable so I guess I know where this is headed.
My breasts are fairly small for my 42 inch chest so it looks like sports bras are the best way to go for now.  I went bra shopping with my wife and found some regular Playtex bras that looked like they would work but ended up returning them because the cups were loose.  I ended up browsing the sports bras while I was there and wasn't nearly as self conscious as I thought I would be.  The Coobie Comfort bra I mail ordered came yesterday.  It is a very light duty sports bra but a big  improvement over the cheap one I have been using, which is still better for biking.  No hooks or buckles to show through clothes.  Looking forward to trying it out for a few days.  Now that I know what works and what fits, I can pick up a few more and try different brands.  Just ordered a Playtex Simply Sized Full Support bra.  Seems like the trick for us guys with big chests and small busts is to order bras that come in L and XL because they are going to have stretchy cups.  No complaints with the Coobie so far.
The Coobie came with some removable foam pads.  I took them out, but it was interesting to see what just another half inch of boob would look like.  Yikes.

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member
Welcome Felix to the next level. I have been where you are at and I can advise you to beware of cheap bras! They are not worth the material they are made of. Keep an eye open for sales at some of the female clothing sites like: HerRoom.com or Bare Necessities or Hanes.com, or etc. There are a goodly number of places to obtain a "support device" and these places run sales every now and then except for Hanes which runs sales all the time. Check there first as they carry multiple "support device" lines. I am no where near your size now but I still remember what I did back then. As a simple way to disguise you "assets", try patch pocket shirts because the pocket breaks up the outline and hides projection. At 46DD/DDD it can be hard to disguise what you have but it works for me. Since I work in the HVAC/R field and deal with everything from boilers to AC units of all sizes I am in a testosterone filled world but I have only 2 or 3 times had any males look at my chest because the pockets hide things very well. Be well!

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
Hope I can add a bit of help for your issues as well Felix.
When I was advised  to wear support for my expanding chest some years ago, I went through the gauntlet of trying different styles and sizes  without much success.  I finally went in for a professional fitting and found what did work for me which was extremely helpful.
As you have probably already realized, we guys are built a bit different than woman even if we are blessed with larger breast, so not everything fits well even in same size.
You mentioned you are fairly small breasted but at 42, a B cup can still be a lot of tissue and if left hanging around unsupported, will be noticeable.  Keep in mind sister cup sizes IE a 42B is same volume as a 40C or a 38D so they say.
In any event with regard to brand choices, the Playtex you tried will typically run large in cup sizes, with a few exceptions I have found.  A better choice for you may be a Bali Double support, as was the first bra that fitted well for me and what I left with from my professional fitting.  
Others have said that Leading Lady products fit well, but I find that they also enhance or provide more projection than what I may want unless I am wearing a larger or more bulky shirt, but they are  certainly comfortable and do provide support.
I can go on but you need to find the products that work best for you, on your own, as it is the support and comfort that you want, not what others think you should have
Good luck with your search

aboywithgirls

If I can add to this, it is absolutely correct that a professional bra fitting is in order. Even myself, whose been wearing a bra fulltime for almost 30 years. Last year, I was looking for a few new bras as I was overflowing my bras. The fitter at the boutique measured me and asked if I had ever tried Fantasie bras. At the time, I was wearing mostly Natori. She brought in a few for me to try on. I was amazed at how much better  all 3 of them fit. Fantasie bras have a different wire design that finally supports all of my boobs, even my side boob.
So, you really need to try on allot of bras before finding what works for you. I have learned that the right size is only half of the equation. The right shape is just as important. 

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
I, too, want to weigh in on the cups-too-large issue. I went through that as I sought my bra size by trial and error. Whenever I applied the measurement formula I found that I needed a 44B to 46B, but every time I ordered one of them the cups had way more room in them than I could possibly fill. I finally started the process of sizing downward until I found cups that fit right. I ended up at 38B, but due to my chest size I have to add an extender to each bra. At the time I started this process I just couldn't go for a formal fitting, but if I find that these bras no longer fit correctly or comfortably I will definitely go for the fitting. I also want to echo what someone else said about Bali bras being comfortable and well-made. I exclusively wear Bali bras because they consistently fit right. I hand-wash and air-dry mine (I'm retired, so I have the time) and they still look great. I discovered that the Hanes website (onehanesplace.com) sells Bali along with other Hanes brand names consistently cheaper than other websites even without the sales that they run often. And don't overlook eBay. I have gotten some good buys there, but you have to be careful and compare the price with other sources or you can end up paying too much. I have recently started wearing panties in order to get good support along with comfort for a painful testicle, and I have found Bali panties to be well worth the price. I also get them from onehanesplace.com. Good luck with your search and welcome to the Society of Bra-Wearing Men! A lot fewer people notice our breasts or bras than we thought at firs,t as long as we don't dress to flaunt them. By the way, mine are too small and wide set to ever have cleavage that doesn't wrinkle, so there's no point in trying to flaunt them!  :)

aboywithgirls

You're not alone. I wear panties too. They are much more comfortable than men's briefs. They fit better. The material is softer and they're lighter and look better. My mother-in-law recently took my wife and I bra shopping  (yes she knows). She told me that she has been wearing men's boxers for years for certain physical reasons.
Bottom line is that you should wear what works and fits.

Offline Busty

I agree a fitting should be very helpful.  I also have found them to be very pleasant experiences where the fitter reacts to you as she would any other customer with breast in need of a bra.  For example, as I was standing bare-breasted in front of the fitter, trying on bras, she observed that my breasts are bottom heavy.  She said that hers were also, especially when she was nursing.  She said a bra with a shelf in the bottom of the cup, like a balconette, worked well for her, as it gave her good support while lifting and shaping, rounding the tops of her breasts.  We tried a balconette for me and I loved it, too.

hammer

My wife says that I was treated with more respect then my daughter was when they went to the department stores at the mall of America for her first fitting! I was very comfortable with the way I was treated and was told that they fit a lot of men that have gynecomastia!

bikerbob

My experiment with being a full time member of Guys Who Wear Bras has gone quite well. Maybe I am having a growth spurt or something, but going around unsupported for any length of time is not an option and I just noticed that some of my favorite tee shirts are getting snug in the chest.   As I mentioned, mine are fairly small in relation to my chest size so most off the rack bras don't fit well.  I will eventually take your advice and get a fitting but the pullover type works for now and is pretty hard to detect if you don't have a lot up front.  I am about to order a couple more in different manly colors.  HerRoom.com does have a good selection and their web site is easy to use.  My advice for anybody who is uncomfortable is to do something about it.  It isn't as difficult as you might think and chances are nobody is going to notice, including your wife if she is giving you a bad time about it.  Mine has been completely OK with it, but she was not aware that I was even wearing a bra full time until I told her.  It really isn't that big a deal and you eventually get used to the sensation of having a big rubber band around your chest.  Millions of women (and a few men) do it and so can you. 

Offline sofa

• Bronze Member
You're not alone. I wear panties too. They are much more comfortable than men's briefs. They fit better. The material is softer and they're lighter and look better. My mother-in-law recently took my wife and I bra shopping  (yes she knows). She told me that she has been wearing men's boxers for years for certain physical reasons.
Bottom line is that you should wear what works and fits.

Btw I switched to boxers when i got married my wife said tighty whities made me remind her if her grandpaw.  So after many years of boxers only went back to brefs for support. I hate rough material.  So was in the mens underware section if walmart.  Saw mans microfiber low rise breifs and boxer briefs. They were on sale for a 3 pack cheeper than traditional brefs.  We were on a budget because of christmas so thought what the hell lets try. Dude i love them.  They have no fly which is nice kinda nice actualy not extra material up there. They are cut to hold your junk literaly like a bra. They are made of the same material as some of my wifes panties I think.  Anways just saying worth a shot to get out of the ladys only department downstares.  They would be a ton better than panties support wise.  Yes i tried on my wifes once to see how they fit.  Theses are a shit bat ton better.  Very suportive and feels like nothings on.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Life-By-Jockey-Assorted-Microfiber-Low-Rise-Brief-3-pack/49528349?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228045371927&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=100851773057&wl4=pla-246859580657&wl5=9011054&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla_with_promotion&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=49528349&wl13=&veh=sem

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
I have  had several bra fitting but they only really confirmed that I was a 38 and never really gave me a bra cup sixe but if found a 38A/B bra from Wacoal that is a perfect fit.  I have ben force to wear a 38 band bra with not cups or a 36B which is the sister size of a 38A.  but the only 38 A bras I ever found was WAY too much cup for my MOOBS,  But the no wire 38A/B does me just fine but I had to go on line to find it. And that was not a quick search! I finally found it at Wacoal's own web site and I looked to day and a 38 A/B is no longer listed but I have one arriving today.  Glad I got my order in on time,  I should have bought every color they had.  My bad luck.
If you got them flaunt them.  We all wear bras so wear what you like and to hell with the rest.

Offline island dude

• Posting Member
Don't know about buy all they have, not enough to fill an A cup, can turn into my cup runneth over. But I understand the band / cup dilemma, wished I didn't, but am all to fimiler. Best of luck with your search. Wacoal is a good fit, once you get the size right. 

Offline Athena12@

• Gold Member
  • If you gat um flunt um.
Well Island Guy I have found several 36 B bras that have enough stretch in the band that I can buy a lot of what I want, I just have to be careful and try them on first.  I recently bought a bra from Target on line, it looked very nice but when I got it I took in (in the bag) to the fitting room and I think I was either a 30 or 32 band.  I could even get past the middle of my shoulder blades,  It was just as well since when I got it I didn't like it anyway. So I took it back to customer services and got my money back.  On and the bra I ordered from Wacoal came in and they sent in a box instead of a bag, hanger included with a plastic cover,  That is good service and now I have two of them,

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024