Author Topic: Drains  (Read 2305 times)

CCFC

Three questions for anyone who knows...

1. Where exactly are your drain sites? I've heard most docs say they'll be up near the armpit but I've seen loads of post-op pics that show sites lower, closer to the pec.

2. How long did it take for the sites to heal?

3. If you had to do it again, would you opt for the drains or not?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Offline jimyd77

• Posting Member
I'd definitely opt for the drains again.  Don't get me wrong, they suck, but they really do remove quite a bit of fluid the first few days after the operation.  I can't imagine if all that crap had stayed in my chest...from everything I've read (and experienced) they really help to promote healing.

My drain sites were about halfway between my armpits and the bottom of my rib cage.  They did take a little while to heal...longer than the incisions scars around my nipples.  I think this is just because every time I'd move my arms or reach over my head I'd be stressing that area.  I'll be honest...it was kind of annoying, but in the end they healed fine and are now fading.

DrBermant

Three questions for anyone who knows...

1. Where exactly are your drain sites? I've heard most docs say they'll be up near the armpit but I've seen loads of post-op pics that show sites lower, closer to the pec.

2. How long did it take for the sites to heal?

3. If you had to do it again, would you opt for the drains or not?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The need for drains depends on the complexity of the surgery, skill of the surgeon, techniques used, and other factors.  Revision Gynecomastia Surgery can be more complex with a greater chance to need drains. With my Dynamic Technique, I typically do not need drains.  Actually it is quite rare I need to use a drain for all of my male chest sculpture.  I prefer methods that minimize bruising and swelling such that the need for drains just does not happen but a few times a year for all of the gynecomastia surgery I perform.

Techniques that feature less swelling, less bruising, not needing drains, tend to be more comfortable, need less pain medication, and seem to recover faster.  Although I give each of my patients a Rx for strong pain medication, almost all tell me that Tylenol alone is enough for even my most extensive male chest sculptures. 

Drains also result in additional scars that may or may not be significant.

The site for the drain is typically not through the original peri-areola incision but out further along the side of the pectoral muscle.  The location can vary depending on the problem to be treated.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024