Author Topic: Swelling On My Mind  (Read 11241 times)

Offline jimboyeeehaw

• Posting Member
Is the best thing to reduce the swelling wearing the compression shirt tight as possible ?
and if so, can you get to a point where wearing the vest can make the situation worse ?
Have spoken to my docter about it. But as Ive come to learn (daily) theres soooooo many techniques for this procedure - during the surgery and post op, just curious to hear what you expert docters recommend ( I will ofcourse go on recommendations from my surgeon, but as I said just curious :) )

DrBermant

Is the best thing to reduce the swelling wearing the compression shirt tight as possible ?
and if so, can you get to a point where wearing the vest can make the situation worse ?
Have spoken to my docter about it. But as Ive come to learn (daily) theres soooooo many techniques for this procedure - during the surgery and post op, just curious to hear what you expert docters recommend ( I will ofcourse go on recommendations from my surgeon, but as I said just curious :) )

Compression garment tension can affect Gynecomastia Healing After Surgery.

I prefer that we adjust each of my patients' after gynecomastia surgery compression garments. The adjustment is picked out the day before surgery and recorded on the patient's chart. The setting is reevaluated in the operating room after surgery. Correct pressure give results as demonstrated on my pages. Too much pressure can hurt the blood supply to tissues, restrict breathing, cause under arm irritation, and other problems. Too loose compression has less protection, more bruising, and less stability.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:12:05 PM by DrBermant »

Offline thezombie

• Bronze Member
from what i have read...compression vest helps in reducing swelling.
normally its recommenced for a month or so..for gyne surgery
it can be longer for lipo/tummy tuck ops..

i wore it for 1 month exactly as recommenced by my surgeon. i was literally wearing it like 23 hours a day 7 days a week.
i remember one day when i took it off for 6 hours  was for our Christmas dinner..
i am glad i wore it for all that time.. i was uncomfortable  but i m loving my results..

not super flat yet..but getting there..

i dont think there is one size fits all vest..
my measurement was taken a day before the surgery and a custom one was made for me.
as the doc said above..tight can hurt and loose wont help

i will definitely recommend vest for support..very very very helpful.
it is uncomfortable for the first few days..but trust me guys.. after 14-15 its like second nature:)

cheers
====================================================================
My Before and After :
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=21866.msg148419#msg148419
====================================================================

Offline Endless

• Silver Member
hello to all those who had swelling, how long until it goes down? is it very gradual from 1st - 3rd month and is 3 months the usual end time?

I had mine about 33 days ago. I was only advised by doctor to wear the vest for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks i continued to wear it but only at night, so about 8-12 hours a day.

I do not feel any pain or sensations associated with swelling.. i only feel a sensation in the very bottom of my chest when i stretch my arms way up.. yet my chest is still bloated. is this what others are also experiencing?

DrBermant

hello to all those who had swelling, how long until it goes down? is it very gradual from 1st - 3rd month and is 3 months the usual end time?

I had mine about 33 days ago. I was only advised by doctor to wear the vest for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks i continued to wear it but only at night, so about 8-12 hours a day.

I do not feel any pain or sensations associated with swelling.. i only feel a sensation in the very bottom of my chest when i stretch my arms way up.. yet my chest is still bloated. is this what others are also experiencing?

Swelling is the body's response to injury and tends to go down over time. How fast depends on the degree of the injury, how much stressing the healing tissues are experiencing, injured lymphatics, infection, new gland growth, weight gain, health issues, and many other factors best discussed with a doctor who can examine the issues. If healing tissues are constantly being reinjured, the swelling will not go down, just like a head ache will not go away if someone keeps hitting the head against the wall.

Also to be considered at 3 months should be that it is not swelling but residual contour deformity not addressed during the first surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery

Offline lifter88

• Posting Member
Hi all. Made my own thread then read through the forum to find this one. I'm in the same boat as all the people that wrote saying they had swelling that made their nipples look puff after surgery. Anyone have any updates???

As of this post im a few days shy of being 3 months post op. I wore my compression garments for a good 6 weeks and it seems once i stopped wearing them and exercising, my chest got worse! My story sounds just like all the replies on this thread. Please tell me it has gone down for all of you!

I got my chest revised because of puffiness and my nipples sticking out from snug fitting shirts. I'm praying i didn't go through surgery for nothing!!

Offline lifter88

• Posting Member
Hi all. Made my own thread then read through the forum to find this one. I'm in the same boat as all the people that wrote saying they had swelling that made their nipples look puff after surgery. Anyone have any updates???

As of this post im a few days shy of being 3 months post op. I wore my compression garments for a good 6 weeks and it seems once i stopped wearing them and exercising, my chest got worse! My story sounds just like all the replies on this thread. Please tell me it has gone down for all of you!

I got my chest revised because of puffiness and my nipples sticking out from snug fitting shirts. I'm praying i didn't go through surgery for nothing!!

3 months later..... my chest is great now!!!!
Listen to your Dr's! Give it time! Massage! Work out to build up your chest!
If you have hard tissue, get Kenalog!

I went from happy to un-happy, now 6 months post-op, im happy and feel my results are final!

DrBermant

3 months later..... my chest is great now!!!!
Listen to your Dr's! Give it time! Massage! Work out to build up your chest!
If you have hard tissue, get Kenalog!

I went from happy to un-happy, now 6 months post-op, im happy and feel my results are final!

Have you considered posting standard pictures to share your success and achievement?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024