Author Topic: my blood test results , opinions PLEASE  (Read 3135 times)

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member
 I  would love to hear fromt the fellows here that  have an opinion on what these numbers mean...  Endo said testosterone is  fine, I do not believe him and getting a second opinion

testosterone , serum         340     ng/dl             reference   241 -827   

free testosterone                   10.0     pg/ml            reference   6.8    21.5

luteining  hormone   [lh]      2.9       m iu / ml                   1.5- 9.3

prolactin                          7.9                                          2.1   - 17.7

bunch of other results  I do not think  i  need to put here

OPINIONS PLEASE

Offline Hypo-is-here

Can you tell me your age and the time the bloods were taken at?

Also can you detail any symptoms or ill health you currently experience...anything?

Important Estradiol and SHBG tests are missing and possibly other relevant tests.

Have you ever taken propecia or hair related medication?

My thoughts are in a given direction already but I would like to hear a little more from you on these issues.

If this involves repeating anything you have mentioned to me in the past then I'm sorry, but I talk to a lot of people and need any facts confirming to avoid any incorrect assumptions.

Offline matthew1

• Gold Member
Can you tell me your age and the time the bloods were taken at?

Also can you detail any symptoms or ill health you currently experience...anything?

Important Estradiol and SHBG tests are missing and possibly other relevant tests.

Have you ever taken propecia or hair related medication?

My thoughts are in a given direction already but I would like to hear a little more from you on these issues.

If this involves repeating anything you have mentioned to me in the past then I'm sorry, but I talk to a lot of people and need any facts confirming to avoid any incorrect assumptions.

testes at 7  am  I am 45 
     I   reached puberty very late age 18 or so,
  my libido is nearly non existent
   depression
  BMI index  in  the 30% range
   poorly  dveloped shoulders despite  physical activies [  lifting and sports]
, never  tried propecia
 I have hypothyroid, well under  control  wityh  synthroid medicine

the other test  performed  I did not post include
glucose serum, creatine, sodium, potassium, carbon dioxide, cacium, protein , albumin, glodulin,bilirubin
alkaline,  ALT , AS T4  T3 UPTAKE.  REVERSE T3

Offline Hypo-is-here

Ok....

I would be interested to see an SHBG result and an estradiol result. 

I say this because they could be lowering your free testosterone and causing the low libido.  You do not appear to be clearly hypogondal on the basis of the free testosterone test or total testosterone test, but both are relatively low and termed low normal.

If your SHBG and/or estradiol levels are elevated then either or both can be lowered to increase your level of free testosterone and potentially alleviate the low libido.

You mentioned your other health issue of hypothyroidism and a test for T3 uptake.

I am not aware of the nature of this test, but I am aware that TSH is not all that helpful in diagnosing or understanding the thyroid in certain cases and that on synthroid TSH and T4 are not always a perfect example of underlying thyroid health.

I like to look to a free T3 level to know that enough T4, which is what you get from synthroid is being correctly converted to enough of the free active thyroid hormone- free T3.

Now maybe that active T3 is another name for free T3, I don't know?

I would like to know what that active T3 means?  What its level and reference range is? and if it is not the same as free T3, I would want you to have a free T3 test and see that.

This can give me a good idea as to how well treated the thyroid condition is and how well this medication is working.  This is important given the cross over symptoms you can have between the thyroid and testosterone issues and the effect that both hypothyroidism and relative hypogondism can have on libido.

My questions on SHBG and estradiol and the need for these tests are clear.  If either or both are overtly or relatively elevated, a reduction of either or both could potentially alleviate the low libido without the need for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) that some poorer endocrinologists or gps might jump towards or alternatively dismiss without understanding the basics..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024