Author Topic: bleomycin as alternative to steroid/triamcinolone/kenalog injection  (Read 2857 times)

Offline penname

Does anyone have experience with Bleomycin as treatment for hypertrophic and/or keloid scars?  I have had a problem with hypertrophic scar development directly under one nipple.  Two attempts at revision via excision and triamcinolone injections have been unsuccessful.  It is about the mass of a small grape, and although I am thin (body fat of about 10 %) it makes the nipple very pronounced.  Since the scar seems hypertrophic as opposed to keloidal (it hasn't grown past the incision/boundaries) and since the revision of similar scar tissue on the other side was successful, I am fairly confident it is treatable.  I will go for a follow up with my PC soon, but wanted to hear about any personal experience people have had with Bleomycin prior to this.  I will post a review of my experience when I am finally done with this.  I prefer not to post any status while it is still unresolved, as I don't have much useful information at this point.  The link below shows an encouraging comparison of Bleomycin to Triamcinolone + Cryotherapy. 

I would be interested in hearing of any additional experience people have had with alternative treatments for hypertrophic scars: cryotherapy, intralesional 5FU, radiation, pulsed dye laser, ultrasound, Transforming Growth Factor β3 (TGFβ3) (Juvista), etc.  Juvista (currently in clinical stage 2 trials) seems promising, but I believe it is only in Phase 3 clinical testing with no mention of a release date or commercial availability.  Since it is a UK company, perhaps it will be available there first (I don't know how these things work).

Thanks!

Bleomycin vs. Triamcinolone + Cryotherapy study:
http://www.e-ijd.org/article.asp?issn=0019-5154;year=2005;volume=50;issue=3;spage=129;epage=132;aulast=Farahnaz

Interesting and fairly comprehensive review of treatments for hypertrophic and keloid scars:
http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic205.htm

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024