Author Topic: Question for the Doctors: Fluid Build Up  (Read 4343 times)

Offline impervious

• Posting Member
Hi Docs,

I'm a full day and a half post post op and feel pretty good. I do have a minor burning sensation in the nipple areas and itchiness around the bandages. Also some soreness. Not to the point where I need to take vicodin; just discomfort.

I am concerned about fluid building up. What are the signs of this happening? How woud one know of fluid building up versus being simply swollen from bruises? Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  Rather than trying to self-diagnose, why not discuss this with your surgeon?

Dr JAcobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
really hard to tell sometimes, so i would just wait. If there is truly fluid build up, you'll almost notice a soft amount of swelling that you can push on and see other areas of your chest become more prominent as a result of fluid displacement. But like Dr Jacobs said, just see your surgeon. He/she should be able to diagnose this....

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  Rather than trying to self-diagnose, why not discuss this with your surgeon?

Dr JAcobs

Yeah, a 'little' knowledge is a 'dangerous thing'. So... we 'laymen' need to know as much as posible. That's what this site is all about, is it not doc? Gaining knowledge of Gynecomastia and anything related to it.

If we (laymen) 'know' exactly what to look for, then we won't have to bother the surgeon with a 'false alarm'.

Self-Diagnostics can save lives!!!  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
one more comment on this topic- if you have drains placed during surgery, it is highly unlikely that you will have any fluid build up. It is after the drains are pulled that you have to watch out for this. Even then, it's still pretty rare that fluid build up occurs at this point unless you are overly active, not wearing compression garments, etc, etc.

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
one more comment on this topic- if you have drains placed during surgery, it is highly unlikely that you will have any fluid build up. It is after the drains are pulled that you have to watch out for this. Even then, it's still pretty rare that fluid build up occurs at this point unless you are overly active, not wearing compression garments, etc, etc.

If it's at the point where the you can feel like there is fluid build up, it probably won't go away by itself, so I would recommend seeing your surgeon. Good luck.

Offline GPTkid

• Posting Member
Thats bad news.  After the first few days post op my chest has gotten larger probly 25% bac to the original size.  Can anyone tell me what migh be going on.  Im really concerned.

curious! Are you using a compressing vest?

Offline impervious

• Posting Member
Saw my PS. No fluid build up. I'm solid. I will post pre and post shortly. Thanks all!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I could be a little paranoid but my chest is just not as flat as it was right after surgery.  I guess ill wait it out.  I was just hoping someone would say that at 10 days post I should be swollen and its normal but i undestand everyone is different.

That is one of the most-asked questions on this site. "My chest was perfectly flat right after surgery. Now, it has gotten to the size it was before surgery". Why is this?

Relax dude... what you are experiencing is swelling. It's totally normal. No need to worry.  ;)

After years of enduring the condition, most guys who are in the early stages of Post-Op recovery are overly anxious to see final results. You have to be patient! Sometimes it takes up to a full year to obtain final results. We all heal at different rates. Some heal very quickly, where as others are not so fortunate.

Hang in there. It does get better... (for most)  ;)

GB
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:28:48 PM by Grandpa Bambu »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I'm glad that I could put your mind at ease... ;)

It's all too easy to let paranoid thoughts get the better of us...

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024