Author Topic: Does scar tissue really go away? Docs?  (Read 22472 times)

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
Can't seem to find a straight answer from a doctor or anyone's success stories.

Does scar tissue *really* go away on its own most of the time? (I don't know if I'm calling that right, but basically whatever causes it to look worse after the surgery). Like will it go practically back to the appearance right after surgery?

Anything to be careful about for long term healing? E.g. does exercise prolong the scar tissue, lock it in, cause selling, etc?

Any surgeon who could give a straight "it should go back to how it was" or "it will not" would be very much appreciated and if anyone has any success or not quite success stories about this, please share your outcome as well. Just trying to get a clear answer.

DrBermant

Can't seem to find a straight answer from a doctor or anyone's success stories.

Does scar tissue *really* go away on its own most of the time? (I don't know if I'm calling that right, but basically whatever causes it to look worse after the surgery). Like will it go practically back to the appearance right after surgery?

Anything to be careful about for long term healing? E.g. does exercise prolong the scar tissue, lock it in, cause selling, etc?

Any surgeon who could give a straight "it should go back to how it was" or "it will not" would be very much appreciated and if anyone has any success or not quite success stories about this, please share your outcome as well. Just trying to get a clear answer.

A scar is the body's way of healing itself.  You have had cuts before, each has healed with a scar.  The trick is to try to minimize the scar as much as possible.  This can be done by minimizing injury such as bruising and swelling after gynecomastia surgery, surgical technique, skill of the surgeon, After Surgery Scar Care, Compression Garments After Male Breast Reduction, and other factors.  Some doctors seem to need steroid injections in the scars for their patients.  I find, with my techniques, it is quite rare that I need to inject my patients' scars after surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
There are so many products listed here for minimizing scar tissue..
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/web_links_folder/scar_web.html
which one is more effective in reducing scar tissue?
thanks,
Tony.

DrBermant

There are so many products listed here for minimizing scar tissue..
http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/web_links_folder/scar_web.html
which one is more effective in reducing scar tissue?
thanks,
Tony.

I have not found any decent studies that show one scar care cream is better than another.  For my patients, I suggest a combination of massaging and compression.  I may modify a patient's scar care based on the evolution of tissues, but that is uncommon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
How many days post op would you recommend massaging?

DrBermant

How many days post op would you recommend massaging?

I prefer to individualize the timing for massaging for each of my patients which varies depending on the problem treated and what has been done.  Such questions are best directed to your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Thanks
So will scar tissue eventually go away?

Offline MSJ108

it takes time for it to go away. it takes up to a year for some people!  :o

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
would scar tissue develop within a week after surgery? can enzymes like serropeptase help in healing wounds and scar tissue?

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Mine became present in my 2nd week of post op.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024