Author Topic: Baths  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
What's the deal with baths post surgery? I've been taking showers etc and that's all fine.  My doctor said my healing is going well and i can even go swimming (8 days post op), so i'm assuming baths without oils etc is fine...right?

Offline jls187

• Posting Member
As long as your cuts are closed it is ok.  I had 'holes' from the drainage tubes and incisions.  I was told not to take baths because the 'holes' were not completely closed.  Then again, I don't know how healed you are at this point.  I would wait at least 2 weeks just to be sure.  But I'm not a doctor. 

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Well i took it! Seems like every was fine. I made sure the water never went above my chest, just in case but it gave me a good time to check out the swelling and bruising!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I rarely use drains, so I allow my patients to take a shower at 48 hrs after surgery -- ie once the wounds have sealed. If drains are used, then you must wait until they are removed and the small entrance incisions heal by themselves, which in most cases is 2-4 days after drain removal.  If there is any oozing or infection, then one would want to wait longer and also consult your surgeon.

If you wish to sit in a bathtub right after surgery, just use a few inches of water and do not get your chest or the dressings wet.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

What's the deal with baths post surgery? I've been taking showers etc and that's all fine.  My doctor said my healing is going well and i can even go swimming (8 days post op), so i'm assuming baths without oils etc is fine...right?

Asking your own doctor is typically better since he / she is most familiar with the problem and techniques used.  For my patients I usually use an After Gynecomastia Surgery Dressing that permits brief showers just 24 hours after surgery (this time gives the glue a chance to bind better to the skin).  Like any bandage however, the dressing only tolerates so much soaking before it starts to come off.

When a drain is used, washing the wound can be a significant risk.  (It is rare for my gynecomastia patients to need a drain.)

For wounds, a sealed wound is the issue.  Shower water is typically safer than pool water (chemicals and what else might be in the pool).  Again for my patients, once the wound is sealed a dip in the pool is no different than time in the shower.  The length of time in water is a factor for any healing wound.  Too long an exposure can disrupt any wound.  Additives to the bath can also be an issue for dressings and the wound themselves.

Swimming also entails physical activity, the arms in particular.  Too early activity can hurt healing tissues causing new swelling and slow recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Thank you for all that information.

Another question, what about Saunas? I've heard this is good for skin tissue, so would you recommend this?

DrBermant

Thank you for all that information.

Another question, what about Saunas? I've heard this is good for skin tissue, so would you recommend this?

Saunas are a stress to healing tissues can can cause damage.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Hi Dr Bermant.  I'm now 4 weeks post and was wondering if i could start to use bath products (bubble bath, bath salts etc)?

DrBermant

Hi Dr Bermant.  I'm now 4 weeks post and was wondering if i could start to use bath products (bubble bath, bath salts etc)?

Such questions are best directed towards your own doctor who is familiar with your situation and healing.  My patients typically have no problems with such exposure well before 4 weeks after my surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024