Author Topic: do we scar internaly  (Read 3536 times)

Offline mezwell

• Posting Member
  • hey
I got a letter from the dock saying the only issues with the procedure would be a recal if i have any scaring?not sure what this means!
is there such thing as `internal` scaring , where the gland and gyne fat have been removed,as i thought scars were caused where the broken/cut outer skin is exposed to the outer`air`,as i have not seen many internal scar problem threads posted i gues it doesnt occur much or it isnt any thing to wory about,or maybe it depends on the amount of fat that is lipo sucked out ,ie the more fat removed the larger the void internally to knit itself together like gluing your hands together only if the glue sets before you press your hands together ,you would be left with dried glue`scars`on both surfaces and no knitted internal tissue,i have a lot of fat to be removed when i go under and its my only real concern when it comes to healing time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:33:47 PM by mezwell »

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
Internal scarring happens to EVERYONE no matter what the procedure is.  Everyone scars differently though.  If you dig deeper into the threads posted here, you will see many people complaining about poor results due to scarring.  Scar tissue can cause the chest to look almost just like it did before the surgery.  Typically, the puffy nipples come back.  The bands of scar tissue can easily be felt under the skin.  For the lucky ones, the scars dissipate within a few weeks/months.  For many others, the scars can take years to fully dissipate. 

Offline mezwell

• Posting Member
  • hey
Thanks for the reply ,i had some surgery on my leg a few years back and got no scaring on the cut zones, so maybe same goes for chest ,i dont know,i will see.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, wherever the surgeon's instruments have been, the body will heal with scar tissue. That may include a wide area under the skin as well as the incision through the skin.

Scar tissue is the natural way the body heals -- we do not heal by producing virgin tissue again.

The amount of scar tissue varies with many factors -- some predictable (ie was there excess collection of blood under the skin?) and some unpredictable (your own genetic predisposition to the healing process).

That is why it is best to go to an experienced gyne surgeon and then closely follow his/her advice after surgery.  That does not guarantee you won't develop excess scar tissue, but it is a good start.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I got a letter from the dock saying the only issues with the procedure would be a recal if i have any scaring?not sure what this means!
is there such thing as `internal` scaring , where the gland and gyne fat have been removed,as i thought scars were caused where the broken/cut outer skin is exposed to the outer`air`,as i have not seen many internal scar problem threads posted i gues it doesnt occur much or it isnt any thing to wory about,or maybe it depends on the amount of fat that is lipo sucked out ,ie the more fat removed the larger the void internally to knit itself together like gluing your hands together only if the glue sets before you press your hands together ,you would be left with dried glue`scars`on both surfaces and no knitted internal tissue,i have a lot of fat to be removed when i go under and its my only real concern when it comes to healing time.

Can't seem to find a straight answer from a doctor or anyone's success stories.

Does scar tissue *really* go away on its own most of the time? (I don't know if I'm calling that right, but basically whatever causes it to look worse after the surgery). Like will it go practically back to the appearance right after surgery?

Anything to be careful about for long term healing? E.g. does exercise prolong the scar tissue, lock it in, cause selling, etc?

Any surgeon who could give a straight "it should go back to how it was" or "it will not" would be very much appreciated and if anyone has any success or not quite success stories about this, please share your outcome as well. Just trying to get a clear answer.

A scar is the body's way of healing itself.  You have had cuts before, each has healed with a scar.  The trick is to try to minimize the scar as much as possible.  This can be done by minimizing injury such as bruising and swelling after gynecomastia surgery, surgical technique, skill of the surgeon, After Surgery Scar Care, Compression Garments After Male Breast Reduction, and other factors.  Some doctors seem to need steroid injections in the scars for their patients.  I find, with my techniques, it is quite rare that I need to inject my patients' scars after surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Surgery is an injury process.  Wherever the body is sculpted, needs to heal.  This extends from the access point throughout the entire region involved.  As mentioned in the prior response, the issue is to minimize this injury as much as possible and maximize the body's ability to improve the scar.  As Dr. Jacobs described, Gynecomastia Hematoma Blood Complications and other fluid collections that the body then needs to resolve, impair healing and can worsen the scar.  It is the same principle that can slow healing when removing dead tissue such as destroyed fat cells by ultrasonic, laser, and cautery methods that the surgeon does not remove. 

That is why technique plays such an important factor in results.  Less injury, less swelling, less bruising, less to heal, less to scar.  The hallmark of good scarring is that it cannot be felt nor seen on animation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Thanks Dr.Bermant &  Dr Jacobs ..that was good information about scar tissue.
< Gynecomastia Hematoma Blood Complications and other fluid collections that the body then needs to resolve, impair healing and can worsen the scar.>
Many doctors use drains whereas some doctors don't.. If drains are not used, would it increase the possibility for blood complication and fluid collections?

DrBermant

Thanks Dr.Bermant &  Dr Jacobs ..that was good information about scar tissue.
< Gynecomastia Hematoma Blood Complications and other fluid collections that the body then needs to resolve, impair healing and can worsen the scar.>
Many doctors use drains whereas some doctors don't.. If drains are not used, would it increase the possibility for blood complication and fluid collections?

Drains are much better than an hematoma.  However, even better is evolving a technique that rarely needs a drain and still results in an extremely low chance of a hematoma!  Drains themselves can slow down healing, require extended antibiotics, are more uncomfortable than not needing a drain, or needing the discomfort of removing a drain.

Check out my typical comfort after gynecomastia surgery.  Not needing drains is one factor in my patients telling me that they rarely need their more powerful prescription medication.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline mezwell

• Posting Member
  • hey
I get it now ,thanks for all replies.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
I've got quite a lot of internal scar tissue from my op just over a month ago.. my right side is pretty bad, left isn't so bad but its noticeably lumpy.. the right nipple still looks puffy although not central to the nipple so I'm pretty sure it's not gland.. I've been assured it will go with time, I massage 2 - 3 times a day using Bio Oil which helps break down scar tissue... it changes so much day by day its weird, one minute it looks better then it looks worse.. I can still feel fluid behind my right nipple so I'm sure it's just a case of continue the healing process. Everyone heals differently I guess I just hope the scarring doesn't leave any permanent bumpiness.

Offline mezwell

• Posting Member
  • hey
I can imagine it will be scarred for quite a while on the internal injuries,i gues it all depends on how carefull the doc has been with his lipo suction procedure when it comes down to it,jsut get yourself some quality relaxation time,plenty of laying down.I am practicing moving my arms without shoulder or stomach movement as i dont want to disturb my chest at all after surgery,im quite a dab hand at lazing about if i want to so im hoping for a quick recovery,i go in for it in february and im taking multivitamins at moment to boost my imune system ,iv replaced all the sugar intake with honey again to boost imune system and have cut out the bear for now ,i will be cutting back on the cigs soon aswell ,ill be visiting the health food shop for arnica pills and ill get a bottle of bio oil while im there,if it will help the scar tissue.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024