Author Topic: Staying fit after surgery  (Read 1794 times)

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
Gentlemen, I know many of us have become quiet anal about our health/workout/exercise regimes—especially since we're preparing for surgery. I know I am, though I reckon it's a good thing!

So, I ask you: what are you guys doing in the post-op weeks to stay fit? The idea of not being able to do any cardio or workout is slightly daunting. But, at the same time, I won't do anything to jeopardize my healing process.

More walking? Are we allowed to walk long distances? Discuss!

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
This is how I feel too. A part of my motivation for fitness was knowing I had surgery, and now that I'm hovering around 10% bodyfat, I like the way I look and feel! I don't want to be sidetracked during the sedentary 3-4 weeks post-op. I've lost over 30 pounds of body fat in the past 3 years, and gained a lot of muscle!

I know I won't be burning fat or gaining muscle during that phase (losing muscle, likely, from not working out), but an ideal position for me would be to stay the same body fat % during the post-op recovery period.

We should really start a motivational thread somewhere. I'd hate to see many of the guys on here gain the weight they worked so hard to lose just because of a "gyne's been treated, everything is 'okay' now" mentality.

I also know my own habits. When I fall out of a workout regimen, I also fall out of healthy eating patterns. I will need to find some motivating force after surgery to prevent myself from eating garbage and gaining weight. Hopefully this board can provide that...

Giantfan, get back on track buddy! Considering the weight you gained is all very recent, it's probably half water weight, and the remainder should be easy to work off. Weight that has been recently gained is also easiest lost (I read that somewhere, sometime ago). The body likes to stay in homeostasis, so when you rapidly gain body fat, you can also rapidly lose that same fat; it's the fat stores that have been on your body for 10-20 years that are hardest to lose, and these usually come off last. Regardless, it can be done!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024