Author Topic: After my surgery, puffy nipples are still there!!  (Read 5798 times)

Offline svensk

Hello all!

A guy here from the north, in Sweden..

I've done my Gyne surgery 6days ago. 2days after my surgery I went to take the first shower and I saw that my puffy nipples are still there!! The doctor mentioned he sucked out 550cc of fat and there was no need to cut the nipple for glands. But I am worried that he has not taken as much as required in order to shape my chest during surgery.

Here is a picture from above; Before Surgery:

Here is a picture from above; After Surgery:

Here is a side-view After Surgery;

Here is a from-view After Surgery;

I'm now wondering if doctors in the US experience the same shape after surgery? Should I be seeing puffy nipples after surgery as in above pictures? I am 22 years old.

Thanks for all comments.

Johan from Sweden

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In short, "no!"

If you had puffy nipples, there is virtually always a requirement to directly excise tissue -- not just do lipo.  Puffy nipples represents a concentration of dense breast tissue directly beneath the areola -- lipo alone cannot remove this.  At least that is my experience.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hello all!

A guy here from the north, in Sweden..

I've done my Gyne surgery 6days ago. 2days after my surgery I went to take the first shower and I saw that my puffy nipples are still there!! The doctor mentioned he sucked out 550cc of fat and there was no need to cut the nipple for glands. But I am worried that he has not taken as much as required in order to shape my chest during surgery.

I'm now wondering if doctors in the US experience the same shape after surgery? Should I be seeing puffy nipples after surgery as in above pictures? I am 22 years old.

Thanks for all comments.

Johan from Sweden

Liposuction is fine for fat.  However, all forms of liposuction
  • sharp cutting cannula
  • ultrasonic
  • vasor
  • power assisted

all preferentially remove fat over gland. When fingers of fat are between fingers of gland, liposuction alone tends to suck out the fat condensing  the gland behind making a mess.

I see many patients who complain of residual Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia after another doctor's surgery.  There are many possible problems causing such a deformity.  The most common is remaining gland behind the areola as seen in these Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Drawings.  Check out the images with the link for remaining gland after surgery to see what I mean. 

Here are just a few of the many examples I have seen and treated:

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia Chest Surgery

Offline svensk

Thank you for the answers Doctors.

Would you as professionals recommend me to get his re-corrected by the same doctor? I am not a fan of puffy nipples.

In other words would they not make the case worse?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is no great hurry right now but eventually, once the initial swelling has settled down, you should evaluate your results and then speak to your surgeon about it.

You may possibly need some revision work in the future -- but best to let everything heal properly.  As a rule, most surgeons will not re-operate for at least six months except if there is an emergency such as bleeding.  The wound is still in active process of healing during that time.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Thank you for the answers Doctors.

Would you as professionals recommend me to get his re-corrected by the same doctor? I am not a fan of puffy nipples.

In other words would they not make the case worse?

It is easier to remove than replace. Each surgeon has his or her own skills. Revision Gynecomastia surgery is an art form. Look for examples of what that doctor has done to see their particular skills. I see many patients coming to me for a second opinion after surgery done elsewhere. Some have tried the same doctor for a revision, others have had several revisions by the same doctor, yet others have had multiple revisions by several doctors. Yes, sometimes I see patients with surgical deformity that I have no reasonable revision options. It is quite rare for my surgical patients to have a revision either by me or done elsewhere.

Tissues need to heal and evolve before considering most revision surgery. Time to tissue softening can take 6 months or more.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline svensk

Ok thanks for the answers, it at least gives me an idea of where I'm standing..

One last question which might be interesting for others under process of healing:

After surgery, during nights I am experiencing cold sweat and my lips dry out where I can peel the over layer! This is nothing I had experienced before surgery, do you what this might be saying?

Offline svensk

Hello doctors.

As you can see Photobucket has removed my "before surgery" from their website. Tell this story to your patiens, that Photobucket thought the before surgery picture is a women breast and therefore it has been removed.  ;)

It makes me happy that I had the surgery although puffy nipples are still there (which is not very funny though) after two weeks, but at least it seems I have man-breasts according to Photobucket. ;D

Offline Diddy

I have experienced similar symptoms. It is now 8-9 months after my surgery and my right nipple is still puffy. There is a circular ridge underneath that is very hard and doesn't move when I touch it with my fingers and it feels like a lot of fluid above it. It actually still hurts a little. My surgeon believes it is a "healing ridge" that is still around somehow and suggested NSAIDS. He also said that the gland was removed during surgery.

What is it? Is it scar tissue or a healing ridge? What can I do to mitigate it? Thank you very much.

Offline unsure101

• Bronze Member
Diddy: I am the same, except the left nipple.

exactly as you described. not sure what to do though.. been 16months

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There may be scar tissue beneath the nipple, creating a puffy deformity.  The healing ridge is most definitely scar tissue.

Both issues may be addressed with judicious injections of kenalog into the tissues.  Best to consult with your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024