Author Topic: When to start exercising again (post-op)  (Read 2215 times)

Offline 805spec

• Posting Member
It's been a month and a half since I had my surgery.  I still feel some light tenderness when touching the area but everything else is fine.  I had to start preparing to move from my apartment by lifting furniture and boxes recently...now I'm getting antsy to start working out.  I was told by my doc to wait 3 months before I start resistance training again.  Exercising was a huge stress reliever for me so now that I can't do it I feel like crap (mainly so lazy and docile). 
Is there a consensus that it might be okay to start exercising earlier or would it be recommended to wait the full 3 months?  I can wait if it means it needs the extra time to heal otherwise what kind of issues can occur from exercising prematurely?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has a different recommendation for when to return to exercise.  Your surgeon's recommendation for 3 months may be based on what he did during your surgery -- so listen carefully to him or perhaps return for a visit and ask your questions directly.

In my practice, I usually allow a return to full exercise at one month after surgery, provided there are no problems with healing.  I know Dr. Silverman in Boston is even more liberal with his recommendations.

The answer is that there is no black and white, right or wrong answer.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline 805spec

• Posting Member
Makes sense... thanks for the reply