Author Topic: No Fluids before surgery - killed me after  (Read 1703 times)

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
So, I'm sure everyone that had the general anesthetic given to them has the same prerequisites of no fluids starting the night before the surgery.

I drink a lot of water. It's the only fluid I drink except milk for cereal. I average about 1 gallon / 4 liters of water every day. I've actually cut down over the years. It's still a lot - and so you can imagine that I have to go to the bathroom often every day.

So.

I stopped fluids the night before the surgery. My surgery wasn't until 2pm the next day. It was brutal not being able to drink anything. I wish I had before and after photos. I am very lean anyways with diet and exercise - but after 14 hours of no fluids - I was so ripped. It was more like I was from a jail with no food or something. Looked so thin.

Anyways after the surgery they give you a juice box.

Then - came the task of slowly re-hydrating your body.

OMG it was the worst. After I'd had about 2 liters of water over the next 3 or 4 hours - I kinda felt like I could go to the washroom.

And so began the worst game of cat and mouse my body has every played with me. Get to the bathroom. Nothing comes out. Every 20 minutes it felt like I needed to go. Go and stand for 5 minutes waiting... willing something to come out.

Then as the night goes on - a few drops now and then.

That was one of the hardest things about trying to sleep that first night. Was the constant feeling like I had to pee. It felt like my bladder was totally full but just not working right. And every time I'd go and try - seriously it would be like 5 full minutes of standing...

Took a good full 24 hours for all fluids to start moving properly again.

Anyone have the same experience?

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
My fluids haven't changed at all. Im like you, as i carry a gallon jug of water with me everywhere. I drink a little juice and almond milk. I did get a little constipated but milk of magnesia just took care of that. Come to think of it i do have a little cotton mouth right now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024