Author Topic: Getting surgery done by a general surgeon  (Read 2368 times)

Offline heylookihaveboobs

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster.

A little bit about myself: 20, ~165lbs, have had gynecomastia since I was around 13.

I went to my physician a couple weeks ago, and we were talking about gynecomastia again, and I told him that I was considering surgery. I've lost about 50lbs in the last 2 years, so he didn't tell me to lose weight or anything. He scheduled me an appointment with a general surgeon for today.

I just got back from the GS. I think this is where I should mention I have MediCal (insurance for low income people in CA). I was expecting him to tell me the price for surgery, as Ive read on this forum that it's rare for insurance to cover the cost of the procedure. Anyway, to my surprise, he didn't mention anything about paying for the surgery - he said, "OK, so we're going to schedule an appointment for you to remove the breast tissue." Very non-chalantly, by the way. We stepped out from his office, he gave my file to the secretary, and she said that pending authorization from insurance (she said "there's usually no problem with getting authorization"), I'll have surgery within the next two weeks. I asked the secretary about how successful the surgery usually is, and she said "very, very successful."

So, what I want to know is ... am I sacrificing anything by allowing a general surgeon to do the procedure, rather than a plastic/cosmetic surgeon? If you have any experience with this, do share.  

I can't afford the full cost of the surgery, and I'm not exactly excited about financing that shit, so I really wouldn't mind a minimal loss in results in order for me to save like $4k.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024