Author Topic: Can Gynecomastia Be Genetic?    (Read 14019 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Actually, I'm not asking that question, but answering it.

Yes, of course.

My father kept it hid, my older brother was in the Army (Korea) so I thought I was the only one.  My younger brother was 7 years younger than me and he too thought he was the only one.  

We are much more open about such things these days because we have realized that it does in fact run in our family  and we want the boys to be ready for it.  My son's all have it .  The Grandson's are just reaching puperty and guess what?   Yep!

People will tease, but if you do not have gyne, they will find something else to tease about.   Most important is not to allow this one issue become such a BFD that you allow it to dominate your opinion of yourself.

If you are in your early teens, it may resolve without help so you may have much more important things to worry about..  It will be years before you are going to have to make a decision about surgery.

Are you near or over 20?  Then you may be looking at a decision about surgery.  

Whether you decide to cope with Gyne (that was the only option when I was young) or to deal with it surgically, the main issue is not the gynecomastia but your self image.  

It does run in families.  none of my sons has made an issue of it,  I think open discussion is the best way to deal with it.  

We are able to deal with it because none of us has it to the extent that a bra has ever been necessary.  most of us would measure about right for an A cup bra.  Admittedly if I or one of my sons had larger breasts than that I may feel differently.  

I read the  posts of young men that think the world is coming to an end because they have slightly prominent nipples.     - - - -   Well, perhaps it is best that you do not know what I'm Thinking.

This is a highly personal issue, deal with it howerver you will, and I'll lend whatever support I can.  Just don't let it get you down. A bad attitude never helped anything.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline hypo

Klinefelters syndrome

1 in every 500 male births.

Kallmans Syndrome

1 in every 1500 births, about the same statistical odds of a man developing hypothyroidism.

Hemochromatosis

1 in 250 to 300 people at birth, the most common genetic condition in the world.  Results in genetic iron overload which can injure the endocrine system and or the liver and lead to gynecomastia.

Idiopathic Hypogonadotopic Hypogonadism-

Statistics unknown.

So yes Gynecomastia can be genetic and that is before you even start to consider familial genetic disposiition passed through families and conditions of excess aromatase.

Gine2D

My father has it, I have it, my sons have it.  We have never considered it as abnormal.  

All the women on my fathers side of the family have "D" boobs or larger, my sisters included.  My grandmother passed along her boob genes to all of us.

G

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
My Dad had it. He has 3 brothers and they do not have it, neither do any of their sons, neither does my dad's father. Nobody but my dad.

Hum, maybe grandma met with the milkman that day.  ;)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Gine2d,

I have 4 daughters, only one genetic, the rest are step.

The one genetic daughter has very large breasts, wearing an H bra. She inherited large breasts from both of us.

jc71,

Numerically, if only one grandparent had gynecomastia, your dad would have only about a one in four chance of inheriting it genetically.   In my family, it seems to be 100%.  Since it runs in my family as well as in the men of my wifes family.

When I was young and thought I was alone, it was a really big deal.  Later, when I learned the truth of how common it was is the family it became less of an issue.  Accordingly, we make sure that the boys know it is common before they are into puberty.  Should they not have it, fine; but if it does show up, at least it is not a surprise and they do not feel alone.

Feeling alone and unusual is very hard on a boy.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
neither my dad or brothers have it.  lucky me.    >:(
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024