Author Topic: Best body type for surgery (fat, skinny,or bulked)  (Read 2526 times)

Offline mooby

• Posting Member
Hey,

Until recently I never knew there was a medical condition known as Gynecomastia.  By luck I happened to be frequently body building forums more and more recently as I'm trying to lose some fat and then plan on bulking up.

In the process of frequenting the forums I found out about gynecomastia, mostly because of posts from steroid users etc.

For me, I began noticing my manboobs at age 12 (natural gyno I guess you call it).  I'm 24 now so I've lived with it half of my life.  I have yet to see a doctor as I just learned about this in the past month--but I'm defintely going to see my family doctor to see if he can diagnose it whether or not it is gyno.

Ever since I was 12 years old I've been ashamed to take off my shirt.  I've avoided swimming with friends, won't use the jacuzzi when my neighbours are around outside, and I -always- double up on shirts.  Even in the summer, I
always wear a tshirt underneath any other shirt I'm wearing to hide it as best I can (and even then it shows through some).

I have a persistent hunched over look, and being taller doesn't help.  My sister asked me why I have a hunch--the fact is that I don't have a crooked back, but rather I calculate every damn move I make because I'm so self-conscious about this.  I press my shoulders/arms forward and cave in my chest, and walk somewhat funny just to try and conceal it.

For years I've -never- worn a t-shirt in public.  Even during heatwaves in the summer.  I know it sounds really crazy but I was very very insecure about this.  I even go so far as wearing light spring jackets through the summer (again, during heatwaves).  I get tons of weird stares and people think I'm nuts but they just flat out don't understand.  I wear very baggy clothes and never wear anything remotely tight.

Throughout high school and college, public speaking was a TOTAL nightmare--more than it is for the average student.  I would go to the washroom ahead of time, go into a stall, and take a roll of duct tape out and wrap it around to try and flatten my man boobs.  Totally devastated me for the
longest time.  I still do this when I have to make a presentation at college :(

I was skinny for years and it was present, and I'm now obese and still have it.  So I don't attribute it solely to my obesity (as again, it was there since I was 12... and I only became obese around age 20).

My plan is to lose 50 lbs (I'm 6'3 @ 240, planning to hit 190).  The question I have is: when is the optimal time to get the surgery done?

I've heard about lipo (general lipo for fat people) where they had lipo done and then when they put on weight later it looked really funny--"cratered" almost.

So basically I can get this surgery done (provided its gyno I have, but I think I do judging from the fact my nipples can cut through a tshirt) -- I can get this surgery done with three different body types:

a). Right now, while I'm still fat and on my diet
b). After I lose the 50lbs of fat completely
c). After I finish bulking up (going to do some hardcore weight lifting after I'm done cutting to 190lbs)

Understandably I'd like to get it done as soon as possible just so I can live a "normal" life and enjoy college.  I've had so much insecurity with girls because of this and my social life has sucked big time.  It compounds into more problems then just having a poor self-image.  I think that getting this done will make me a much happier person.

BUT, I don't want to risk a bad surgery.  So what do you think is the best body type to have this done on, and the reasons for your recommendation?  I'm not so much worried about scarring as I am worried about having a naturally "contoured" looking chest that appears right once I am into the weight lifting.  I want to be able to look like any other weight lifter within reason (nothing is perfect, I'm seeking an improvement over what I have though)

I really look forward to hearing your input and I'm so thankful I found this forum (and found out its not just me, but that other men suffer from this too).

thanks for your support

GynO_DuDe

Personally it makes sence to believe that being healthy when your getting the surgery done would be the most ideal way??

Im fat, but im hitting the weights etc and my physique has vastly improved. I just got some flab in the belly to lose. And I can bench 95kg ... My chest is really tuff, but its the huge nipple area thats tender and were the gland lies.

You dont need to walk in to the theatre with a six pack mate ... as long as your near healthy you should be fine I would think.

Offline mooby

• Posting Member
Hey John,

I'm in Canada.  Toronto to be specific.  I know what, rather, WHO you will recommend (ehehe) as I've lurked here over the past month.

I'm going to check with my family doctor first before consulting with a PS, though, to confirm that it is what I think it is (but I'm pretty certain that what I've gone through over the past 12 years isn't just due to some fatty tissue).

My biggest concern is still trying to decide when the optimal time to get the surgery done is.

I know a healthy body is ideal, but more than that, I want to know what is the best type of body to have operated on--for example, if they do some lipo afterwards, perhaps its better to have the surgery done after I've reached my ideal weight zone as that is what I will / should look like afterwards.

My fear is that if I get the surgery done and the lipo portion is under or overestimated due to misleading body fat (that gives a wrong portrait of my ideal body contour) -- then I'll have a really goofy looking result.

Perhaps I'm worried over nothing and this doesn't make any sense.  I just thought it was logical that there is probably an ideal body type (fat, thin, or bulked), to have the surgery done on to prevent the likelihood of a noticable defect from the lipo.

Being overweight now, they would extract more fat then necessary, perhaps, because I have more chest fat.  Then if I lost the rest of my weight I might look odd or disproportionate.

Again, I might sound completely irrational.  Let me know what you guys think and I really really thank you for your words of wisdom.  This is a very sensitive issue and all the help I get really makes a difference.

Offline mooby

• Posting Member
I should clarify, I think both of the posters may believed that I meant what is the best body type for surgery that enables me to recover the best.

That is NOT what I meant.

I was talking more specifically about avoiding complications or defects from lipo and/or surgery that would give me a disfigured chest.

I'm willing to accept the surgery scars, but I want to minimize anything else in terms of bumpy chest from lipo gone bad or something like that.  I'm just looking for the best body type to have going in to the surgery for that reason alone...

thanks again, I really value all the help  Iget on such an important/personal issue

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
you want to be at the form you're planning for going forward.  that way the ps knows what to try to work with.  so your answer is probably c.  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Warlord

• Posting Member
  • My battle with gynecomastia has begun.
One of the other threads (I can't remember which one; maybe someone can link it) addressed this very situation and the general point was that people who work out and have developed pectorals, generally have a better success with the surgery results.

Personally, I plan on doing the same thing you're wanting to do:  lose as much fat as safely possible, develop some more muscles and definition through weights, THEN have the surgery.  That's the route I always knew I'd take for my gynecomastia solution.  

Also, my stance was echoed by my PS when I asked him the question as to when it would be best to get the surgery done: now or after some weight loss.  He stated that usually, whether its a man or woman, when someone starts lifting weights and losing fat, it'll start showing first in the traditional fatty areas of the body, i.e. breasts, stomach, buttocks, hips, etc., etc.  His recommendation was to lose some weight through aerobics exercise, weight lifting, and proper eating, THEN have the surgery.  This would not only give a far better idea of what results could be expected from the surgery, but it would also make that necessary and permanent change for my health.

I, too, have had gynecomastia since I was a child, and it stuck with me, regardless of my weight.  True, extra weight will exasperate the condition and I don't expect to get rid of it by losing that extra weight.  However, I'll do whatever is needed to get a jumpstart on it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024