Author Topic: Surgicenter vs Hospital  (Read 1648 times)

Offline anon553

• Posting Member
There are 2 plastic surgeons practicing within 5 minutes of each other.  One quoted $7000 and does the procedure in a hospital, the other quoted $4000 and does the same procedure in his own surgicenter located inside his office.  With the first surgeon, am I paying more because it is in the hospital?  Is it better to have the surgery done in a hospital than a surgicenter?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
There are many factors that determine an individual surgeons asking price for a particular procedure...

If the surgeon who is quoting the lower price has the proper credentials, then I'd go with him/her at the clinic/surgicenter... Ask for  a tour of the facilities... Make sure it's on the up'n up...

G surgery, for the most part, is very safe and uneventful... Having surgery done at a private clinic is perfectly safe... However, you must do your homework... Board Certified Surgeon with a clean, well cared for facility. You don't want to hire a General Practitioner who is a weekend warrior PS who has a dark dungeon for  a surgical laboratory.   :P

As the old saying goes... BUYER BEWARE!!!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I do virtually all my gyne surgery in my office operating room suite under sedation anesthesia provided by an anesthesiologist.  It is perfectly safe and there have been no problems whatsoever.

Hospitals do offer an extra safety net -- there are other doctors and health professionals around.  If you feel more comfortable in that type of setting, then the hospital is for you.  Hospitals do tend to cost more than a surgicenter.

Most important, however, is the quality and experience of your surgeon.  Check them out carefully.

BTW, if you do opt for the surgicenter, make sure it is an accredited facility -- that insures that the staff, its policies and equipment measure up.  You can request to see a certificate of accreditation.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024