Author Topic: If I am 290 lbs, will losing weight make breasts smaller  (Read 3656 times)

Offline bosoxnm3

• Posting Member
Although I definitely have gland, I feel it wouldn't really matter to me if I just lost the fatty part. Will losing weight help this even though it won't be able to eliminate the gland tissue?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Getting fit is always a good thing. In your case, reducing body fat will probably reduce the size of your G somewhat. However, you will probably never get rid of it completely.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
You could lose the fat but if you have a good amount of gyne, your nips may or may not be a problem, but if you have gyne the size of an orange and you lose all the fat, your chest will look like real breast. Trust me, I lost weight freshman year, and when you looked at my body from shoulders down, I looked like a female wrestler. Not really nice to live with.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline Jdowg

• Bronze Member
I weighed about 200lbs at age 16, i lost 55lbs and i can tell the difference in my chest. I talked with the doctor before and after my workout period about it and he said all that is left is whats gonna be removed. It will for sure make a difference and you will be able to tell the difference. Only way to find out is to do it! So good luck, hope you lose the weight :)

DrBermant

Although I definitely have gland, I feel it wouldn't really matter to me if I just lost the fatty part. Will losing weight help this even though it won't be able to eliminate the gland tissue?

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery.  You can Calculate your BMI to see what is normal.  For those with too much body fat, Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from. As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline iwannabefree

• Bronze Member
Many people on this website do not realize that not everyone needs to look 100% like a male super model right away. if you are 290 pounds (assumming much of that is fat) and you have a good amount of glandular tissue - i can tell u cutting down on the fat will surely help reduce the size of ur chest (in addition to the rest of ur bodyfat). this will have a good overall effect on u - sure u wont be able to take ur shirt off and go skinny dipping with perfect 10 models right away, but u'll probably be able to feel 10% more freedom.

Let me tell u from personal experience that 10% freedom translates into 50% more clothing options, and 200% more optimism.

worth it or not?

once u lose all ur fat, get surgery, if u must. but lose fat first.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Absolutely, losing weight will make your entire body smaller, including your breasts.  But more than likely, your gyne will not disappear completely.  The other problem that will remain is that when you lose weight, your skin will have lost some of its ability to tighten.  The result?  your chest skin may droop somewhat.

Best advice:  lose as much weight as possible -- then consult an experienced gyne surgeon to find out what your options are.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline cool9000

Unless that 290 is all muscle and you're 7 feet fall, you definitely need to lose weight. There are really no downsides to getting in shape, unless you are a comedian since they are generally less funny when they are skinny.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024