Author Topic: Inverted nipple correction several years after initial surgery?  (Read 8129 times)

Offline ukguy25

Hi all,

I had surgery for 'puffy nipples' when I was about 14 in the hope that it would give me a normal chest. Unfortunately I was left with inverted nipples which if anything is even more embarrassing. I was told this should sort itself out but I'm now 25 so I guess that's not going to happen!

Until recently I figured I'd just have to put up with it but after a bit of Googling I came across this site and was hoping that it might be possible to have some sort of corrective surgery to bring my nipples out again.

I've tried a few searches but haven't really found any information about this, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? How common is this problem and how easy is it to fix, particularly several years after the initial surgery?

I'm around 15% body fat at the moment, would reducing this help?

Thanks,

Pete

Offline sergeantpepper

• Bronze Member
When you say inverted nipple, what exactly do you mean? A fold, or what? I may be in a similar situation. Do you have pictures?

Offline ukguy25

Well basically I can feel a recess behind my nipple, and my nipple sits back into this. It's pretty much like in this image:

Sometimes it just looks a bit flat while other times (when I'm warmer/more relaxed) the dent is more visible. When my nipples are erect they look pretty much fine thougj.

I haven't got any pictures but I'll try to get some up tonight after work.

Pete

DrBermant

Hi all,

I had surgery for 'puffy nipples' when I was about 14 in the hope that it would give me a normal chest. Unfortunately I was left with inverted nipples which if anything is even more embarrassing. I was told this should sort itself out but I'm now 25 so I guess that's not going to happen!

Until recently I figured I'd just have to put up with it but after a bit of Googling I came across this site and was hoping that it might be possible to have some sort of corrective surgery to bring my nipples out again.

I've tried a few searches but haven't really found any information about this, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? How common is this problem and how easy is it to fix, particularly several years after the initial surgery?

I'm around 15% body fat at the moment, would reducing this help?

Thanks,

Pete

Male Inverted Nipples can be a natural deformity of gynecomastia when gland elements tether the nipple to the muscle fascia. 

It cal also be a version of a Crater Deformity Defect after Gynecomastia surgery where residual gland and scar do the same.

If there are enough local resources, Revision gynecomastia surgery may help.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline ukguy25

Hi DrBermant, thanks for your message and sorry for the slow reply, it's been a hectic week!

I've had a look at your pages on gland tethering and crater deformity, mine look sort of between the two really - worse than the tethering photos but not as bad as the crater deformity. I guess it could be either and I'll have to go and visit my doctor to find out which it is. One thing is that it is particularly prevalent when I raise my arms up - doing so really pulls the nipple inwards. Could this be a symptom of either or is it only associated with one?

You also mentioned revision surgery, which is something I'd definitely consider. Is it more successful for tethering or crater deformity, or are they about the same?

Thanks,

Pete

PS Would it help if I posted photos?

DrBermant

Hi DrBermant, thanks for your message and sorry for the slow reply, it's been a hectic week!

I've had a look at your pages on gland tethering and crater deformity, mine look sort of between the two really - worse than the tethering photos but not as bad as the crater deformity. I guess it could be either and I'll have to go and visit my doctor to find out which it is. One thing is that it is particularly prevalent when I raise my arms up - doing so really pulls the nipple inwards. Could this be a symptom of either or is it only associated with one?

You also mentioned revision surgery, which is something I'd definitely consider. Is it more successful for tethering or crater deformity, or are they about the same?

Thanks,

Pete

PS Would it help if I posted photos?

I have been able to improve many such deformities over the years.

Online forums have significant limitations.  I am glad to help you explore your concerns and evaluate photos as part of our Preliminary Remote Discussion. With our history forms, operative reports, doctor's office notes I am better able to help patients from around the world with their options during the privacy of a phone call instead of in public.  If you want to learn more, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Revision Gynecomastia and Chest Surgery
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 07:20:45 PM by DrBermant »

Offline sergeantpepper

• Bronze Member
UKguy, id like to see your pictures if you ever get any online.ill try to get some too. I feel like my problem is more of a crease than total inversion though

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024