Author Topic: The Truth  (Read 17745 times)

Offline trident

You guys want to lose some weight?
But you cant right? because you have to wake up for work for 8
and you get back at 5 and have to watch your favorite show.
BLAH FU@!#@!# BLAH!

Want to know how i lost weight?
I got off my ass, put on my running shoes and stopped making excuses.
i cut down my diet of oreos and milkshakes to water and fruits(Which are delicious)
I lost 80 pounds in 6 months. 50 in the first 3. I have gynecomastia yeah, i have it pretty bad.
but you know what? its better than being obese and having gynecomastia.
theres no secret diet tips or special foods. GET OFF YOUR ASS AND RUN.
i worked around my schedule. i cut out the useless crap i thought was important.
when i lost the weight i felt healthier, energized and ready to deal with anything.
Docter says i got gyne from being overweight. Well at least i learned something.
go to meet an endocrine soon and i cant wait.
By the way i go to school, work part time (at taco bell), have band practices 3 times a week, extra curic stuff 3-4 times a week. And im 16. Good luck and thanks for reading my post. NOW GO RUN

Offline Gynemaniac

• Posting Member
You are definitely right bro. I have same story. What i found is that you shouldnt get any strict menus for your diet. I mean all these strict diets makes you limited, and by the time when you get tired of your diet and get your normal habits you gain at least same amount or more weights. With eating same thing but small portions i lost 85 pounds in 10 months. I was 290, right now 205. Still i eat pizza, pasta but less. Also two three hours before go to sleep i try to eat salad with small amount of dressing. I mean i used to eat 1 large pizza easily, but i figured out i dont need to eat whole pizza, 2-3 slices is more than enough. Other thing is cutting unnecessary foods like cookies, chocolates, etc... 
In other hand i always have gyne with very very severe condition. After weight loss i'm planning to get surgery with skin reduction and regular stuff. Next week monday i have appointment with Dr. Bermant. Most probably he'll offer me skin reduction with scars. I try to prepare myself to bad looking scars, which is in my case necessary. And also I hope he'll quote affordable price for me. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I agree in principle, but we cannot all run. I'm an old dude with arthritic knees and hips, even some guys much younger have problems as well so we must do what we can. I my case, I walk from 3 1/2 to 5 miles each evening with about 30 minutes of that at a pace which is sufficiently aerobic that it is not possible to carry on anything like a normal conversation.

Three other things are also important. Never skip breakfast, and never skip a meal or snack. Always have fruit or vegetable snacks near at hand. If you do not allow yourself to get hungry, you'll be less tempted to reach for the junk food. Finally, Drink at least 2 litrs of water a day. Not coffee, soda, beer or anything else, Water. The other liquids are allowable in reasonable amounts but they do not replace water.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tim fuller

• Posting Member
I agree in principle, but we cannot all run. I'm an old dude with arthritic knees and hips, even some guys much younger have problems as well so we must do what we can. I my case, I walk from 3 1/2 to 5 miles each evening with about 30 minutes of that at a pace which is sufficiently aerobic that it is not possible to carry on anything like a normal conversation.

Three other things are also important. Never skip breakfast, and never skip a meal or snack. Always have fruit or vegetable snacks near at hand. If you do not allow yourself to get hungry, you'll be less tempted to reach for the junk food. Finally, Drink at least 2 litrs of water a day. Not coffee, soda, beer or anything else, Water. The other liquids are allowable in reasonable amounts but they do not replace water.

I agree 100%.

While the OP is right about having to get off your ass and do something, I disagree with the "just eat less and run" approach.

It is about realizing life changes. The idea of going on a "diet" is inherently short term. There is no point in doing something that you can't maintain for the rest of your life.

You don't necessarily have to lose 60 pounds in 3 months to feel successful. Just starting to make the right choices around food is the start. Eat proactively. Never let yourself get hungry.

I  also truly believe in the value of weight training. A good weight training session can burn just as many calories as a run, and you are building muscle to boot. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. When you are lifting weights, if you accidentally eat too much, some of those extra calories are helping build more muscle rather than fat.

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member

It is about realizing life changes. The idea of going on a "diet" is inherently short term. There is no point in doing something that you can't maintain for the rest of your life.

YEP
diets dont work....changes in lifestyle do

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Many years ago a comic described a diet as when you could have all you want of everything you don't like.

Though meant as a joke, it is the truth. It is the fundamental reason why diets consistently fail.

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
I would LOVE to get out and run (I hate running...), did it a ton in the Army years ago, was pretty decent runner then (mid to high 12 min 2 mile timed run) till I broke by foot running, and was in a cast for 5 months, and then moved to high altitude and really messed me up, but still was under 200 easily, weight wasn't really a problem for the most part.  But now I commute 3 hrs a day, work 8-11 hours a day and come come and don't have time to do much except spend time with my family.  Time is my own worst enemy....

I wanna, but when?  And when I did try a little a few weeks ago, my shins really gave me a hard time over it. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Like I said above, I cannot run but I can and do walk even hike in the local mountains. Often these hikes include grandchildren so family time and exercise time overlap.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
We can do anything we set our minds to...  ;)

We just need to 'want it' bad enough...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
You guys want to lose some weight?
But you cant right? because you have to wake up for work for 8
and you get back at 5 and have to watch your favorite show.
BLAH FU@!#@!# BLAH!

Want to know how i lost weight?
I got off my ass, put on my running shoes and stopped making excuses.

Nothing more, nothing less...  ;)

GB

Offline iFlow

• Posting Member

I wanna, but when?  And when I did try a little a few weeks ago, my shins really gave me a hard time over it. 

I would say a good time would be instead of researching info on the forums about gynecomastia, etc it could be used to running at a gym, outside, or at home workouts. But researching info is great, but time on the computer can be addicting. Sometimes I would want to work out, but instead I get caught up on the web.

For your shins, it can because a combination or perhaps all of these factors: your running technique is improper, overweight, and/or you need new running shoes. Because you're experiencing shin splints.

Offline as400

• Silver Member
Will running make the breast tissue go away?

no...now thats the truth.

Plenty of photos on here of guys who clearly dont need to loose weight but who still have breasts.

Also some people have a genetic predisposition that determines fat builds up in their chest areas over other areas more quickly, so surgery solves this.

Its great that you have run a lot and only drink water, but for some of us that simply will not work.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoes, after that who cares? your a mile away and have his shoes.

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
If your shins hurt from running, try out the elypticals at the YMCA or at another gym.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
Will running make the breast tissue go away?

no...now thats the truth.

Plenty of photos on here of guys who clearly dont need to loose weight but who still have breasts.

Also some people have a genetic predisposition that determines fat builds up in their chest areas over other areas more quickly, so surgery solves this.

Its great that you have run a lot and only drink water, but for some of us that simply will not work.

I dont think the original poster is trying to say that running and drinking water will get rid of gynecomastia...

This is in the fat and gynecomastia section and I think he's more refering to the fat side of things!! Losing weight and gynecomastia seem to be quite closely related, the OP (from the way I read it) is saying that losing weight he still has gyne, but he looks a lot better being thin with gyne then obese with gyne.

Otherwise I couldn't agree more, some form of exercise is better than no exercise! And being thin with gynecomastia is better than being fat with gynecomastia... also once thin and having surgery you'll look better for it.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
Genetic predisposition, huh?  Sounds like an excuse to me.  Increased water intake and light to mild cardio will work for anyone who is overweight.  Surgery can get rid of fat temporarily, but a lifestyle change is needed to maintain it.

And remember,  "Never say diet."
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024