Author Topic: Going back for second surgery and wanted some advice  (Read 7164 times)

Offline dfwhelp

I am 30 and am about 6' 3" and weight 290. I have had gynecomastia since adolescence and it has always plagued my confidence about my body. I was pretty much in shape until i graduated college and still had this problem. When i put on weight, the problem got worse.  I had a surgery almost a year ago that removed fat tissue by going through my arm pit. I am not satisfied with the results and plan on going back for the surgery that removes fatty tissue and breast tissue from  an incision in the areola. My plastic surgeon told me that after the surgery that I will probably have excess loose skin and that there would probably be sagging. Most people I have seen with before and after pictures are people who are pretty much in shape and the results of their surgery are  stellar. I, however, am overweight  and just concerned with my chest sticking out further than my stomach. But I really didnt want my chest to look worse than it does now. My doctor told me, because of my age, that i have a fairly good chance of my skin somewhat retracting if i wear the compression vest properly. Are there any instances where people who are overweight have surgery that dont result in excess sagging skin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
I am curious to see pics..    Who did your surgery 1st, and who's your surgeon now - also out of curiosity?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I am curious to see pics..    Who did your surgery 1st, and who's your surgeon now - also out of curiosity?

What he said...

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
skin's somewhat flexible, it may not happen overnight, but i think you have a decent shot at it. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline dfwhelp

The pictures of my 1 year post op are below. This was after my liposuction through the arm pit.

My surgeon was Dr. Dr. Wilcox in Plano. I was planning on using him again because I cant afford to be out another 5 grand for the surgery to go through the nipple. I was hoping he could get everything through the arm pit but as you can see my results are less than spectacular.

Now that i have posted pictures, do you think the chances of my skin not sagging is a possibility. I dont want to go from one embarrassment to another. I was told the only way to ensure that i would have no sagging is to make a T incision under my nipple that would be quite large and visible forever.

Any advice would be great. I dont want to keep investing money in a lost cause.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Get a second opinion on that dude...  ;)

GB

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
I think you will have a little skin left, but not that much. But hey, I aint a doc.
If you have gyne, dont expect not be laughed at.

Just like if you walk into a locker room, you're gonna see some hairy asses and dicks.

Unfortunately for me, both have occured in my life way too many times.

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
hmm..  It looks like you have it pretty good.  I would say that I have somewhat similar sized gyne. 

I'm curious what losing a few pounds would get you.  Not trying to make a commentary, but I've seen some pics on here from guys who have lost a significant amount of weight, and ended up with smaller (and easier to eliminate (I would think)) gyne.  I too plan to loose 20-30lbs prior to surgery. 

I'm not saying drop to 175 or anything, but skin stretched to the max would make me that it was ever-expanding, and slowly decreasing the volume of fat over time prior to surgery would have a positive result for you...  My theory is it's kinda like a balloon, you've got it filled pretty full and if you let all the air out at once, it's not going to shrink back to original size.  But if you let a little air out over time, then when you do let a large amount of air out, that it will rebound better. 

That's just my two cents.  I'm not an expert on this by any stretch, but it makes sense to me.  But I voted for John McCain.

What do you guys think??

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member

That's just my two cents.  I'm not an expert on this by any stretch, but it makes sense to me.  But I voted for John McCain.

What do you guys think??

Lol.

Offline pinoy_ako

hi i had my liposuction of the breast area last november 2008, and im planning  to go back for the excision and lipo again this january, is it ok already  to have this done ? thanks

Offline Dave_8

• Gold Member
I think you have to wait 6 months or something, but whatever, I'm not a doc so ask a doc near you.

DrBermant

I am 30 and am about 6' 3" and weight 290. I have had gynecomastia since adolescence and it has always plagued my confidence about my body. I was pretty much in shape until i graduated college and still had this problem. When i put on weight, the problem got worse.  I had a surgery almost a year ago that removed fat tissue by going through my arm pit. I am not satisfied with the results and plan on going back for the surgery that removes fatty tissue and breast tissue from  an incision in the areola. My plastic surgeon told me that after the surgery that I will probably have excess loose skin and that there would probably be sagging. Most people I have seen with before and after pictures are people who are pretty much in shape and the results of their surgery are  stellar. I, however, am overweight  and just concerned with my chest sticking out further than my stomach. But I really didnt want my chest to look worse than it does now. My doctor told me, because of my age, that i have a fairly good chance of my skin somewhat retracting if i wear the compression vest properly. Are there any instances where people who are overweight have surgery that dont result in excess sagging skin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

Have you checked your BMI with a Calculator (Body Mass Index)

At 6'3" and 290# that is 36.2 or Severely Obese.

This in conjunction with a Body Fat Analyzer can give a clue about your condition. 

Wearing the extra fat is not healthy.  Have you ever seen a Sumo Wrestler without breasts?  Men tend to put fat around their chest and stomach and then globally.  The Anatomy of Gynecomastia consists of fat, gland, and skin. 

Although losing weight will not help with the gland, Weight Loss can help with the fat component.  Living with the extra fat is just not healthy.  Getting down to a healthier BMI and Body Fat Percentage does help most with many quality of life and medical issues.

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.  Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  I have seen many disasters of surgeons / patients pushing surgery as an early option to "jump start" the weight loss process or "because I can't get the weight off myself."

This is especially the case where the patient is in the process of a major weight loss and now has Drooping Chest Skin or Male Breast Ptosis  When a patient has their drooping skin lifted and tightened with Male Mastopexy Chest Lift and then loses much more weight, the skin usually does not shrink well and sags again.  It is a gamble, but if the skin did not shrink well with the first weight loss, why should it for further loss?  Revision Skin Tightening may not be an option.

This loose skin is an issue for each woman on delivering her baby.  However, that loose skin was stretched for a few months, the overweight patient has stretched the lose skin for year.  Most patients do not need skin tightening after weight loss.  However, some end up with Loose Excess Skin on their Chest

Although compromise surgery can be done on obese or overweight patients, after surgery they just look like obese / overweight patients with smaller breasts. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline sabercut

• Posting Member
In my opinion you look pretty good rite now. Dont try to get out more than you need to. It will look worse than you think.

One of the things you have to accept in life. Ok you got a little bit of boobs so what. It is much better than having loose skin, the skin is tight and looks good. Great leave it here.

I think I look pretty much like you. Take a look at it and you will find why the advice.

Offline user87

• Silver Member
In my opinion you look pretty good rite now. Dont try to get out more than you need to. It will look worse than you think.

One of the things you have to accept in life. Ok you got a little bit of boobs so what. It is much better than having loose skin, the skin is tight and looks good. Great leave it here.

I think I look pretty much like you. Take a look at it and you will find why the advice.

are you joking??
he has boobs .. and man! they are not small!
sorry ... but I don't think he looks good
lose some weight, make a lot of sports and then, after a while, take another surgery
it is going to be fucking hard .. but you can improve a lot!!

GynO_DuDe

Your breasts suit your bodyframe; thats the reality. And I think thats what your surgeon did, kept your breasts intact with the rest of your body so you didn't have a huge belly & sagging skin in place of your breasts.

Doesnt this motivate you EVEN a little bit? to lay off the junk food and start educating yourself about weight loss and a healthy lifestyle? you dont have to get a six pack, even becoming 'overweight' instead of severely obese is a massive improvement and you'll feel the benefits of it!

And I have first hand experience because im 22 and all my life from the age of 13 to about 20 ive been clinically obese and dropped a good 2-3stones ... now I just fluctuate from normal weight to overweight depending on how I feel at home, but it doesn't make THAT much of a difference on my body ...

But yeah, trust me man, just do it ... its not going to happen overnight, it's going to happen in a year. Be real ... and don't think 1 year is a long time, you'd be suprised how quickly days go by.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024