Author Topic: Considering Surgery... How should I go about it?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
To make it simple, I'm 24 years old. I've probably had this condition going on almost 10 years now. It's been so long, I can't even remember if it started under both nipples at the same time or just one. Anyway, I spent years just hoping the damn thing would resolve on its own. My right side is pretty much fine... there's still a little bit of tissue under there but it's really not very noticeable and I'm not self-conscious about it at all really. I guess most of what was there DID dissipate after a couple years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my left side. It's not grotesque but it's definitely noticeable. I'm about 6' tall and I'm thin... I only weigh about 165. This condition has been unbelievably frustrating for me because I'm not self-conscious about my weight or anything, really... just this one growth has prevented me from really being confident enough to take my shirt off in front of other people for years and I've had enough. I don't want to be ashamed of my appearance anymore and I want to be able to go to the beach again like I did when I was younger and have no shame.

Anyway, there is some glandular (hard, painful) tissue towards the bottom and the rest is kind of soft and painless. It's not really gigantic.. but like I said, I definitely think it's noticeable.

My question is basically this. What should my first step be? And if I do elect to get surgery, how soon do you think I'll be able to have it done? My goal is to be healed enough to take my shirt off this summer and wear t-shirts without worrying about any protrusion. It's February now... would it be possible for me to have this removed and be healed enough to resume normal activity by late May or June? I don't even mind if the scarring is a little visible. If I elect to get the surgery, I'd probably just tell my girlfriend anyway so I'm not even that concerned. I just want to resume life as normal ASAP.

So what do I do... go to a normal doctor first? An endocrinologist? Or should I be trying to find surgeons now? I can't let this keep effecting me. It has already caused me enough grief to last a lifetime. I'm so sick of trying to hide it or worrying that someone will notice and say something. I just want it to be gone and done with. I wish I did this years ago but I guess it's better now than never, right?

Any help and advice would be appreciate greatly. Thanks.

Offline monsterclean

• Bronze Member
Hey,
Well you made the correct first step in seeking advice.

It seems that the solution to your case is, in fact, surgery.  I've got a similar story, I'm 23 years old, and have had this problem since about 13.

You can usually schedule this surgery fairly quickly.  And you should be able to have your shirt off in public by the summer (July/August for sure).  However, you should be cautioned that early exposure of your scars to direct sunlight can hinder their healing and lead to darkening.  So, invest in good sunblock if you must go shirtless in the sun.

Depending on your location, you may go to your family doctor and request a referral to a plastic surgeon.  Alternatively, you may also be able to see a plastic surgeon directly.

I saw a plastic surgeon a couple weeks ago and I could've booked a surgery for February.  I elected to wait until March because it works better with my schedule.  You need to account for 1 week of post-op rest, although people seem to be able to return to desk jobs sooner.  But schedule for one week nonetheless.

You probably have gynecomastia from puberty, and an endocrine evaluation is probably unnecessary.  Speak to your plastic surgeon about this.

Good luck.

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Thanks for responding. That's good to hear about being able to schedule the surgery within a few weeks of the consultation.

I'm aware that I shouldn't expose the area to the sun too much, I'll be conscious not to. Even if I can just wear my t-shirts again without worrying about the way I'm standing making it obvious I'll be really happy. All I know is that I've dealt with this long enough and at this point, I know this is my only option of making it go away and living a more carefree life. It's time to take control of the situation and stop hiding it and avoiding it so I'm going to do what I have to.

What's the best way to go about seeking a surgeon to do the procedure? I'm very close to New York (Northern NJ) so I guess I'd be looking for a surgeon somewhere near Manhattan.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be best for you to consult with a plastic surgeon first.  He will evaluate you and then consider an endocrine evaluation if indicated.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024