Author Topic: having surgery after 50  (Read 3267 times)

Offline JG

would like to ask those of you who had this surgery later in life late forties and later- did the healing time seem to be prolonged? by this I mean as compared to earlier in life.
did you need to go back for skin reduction because of skin not be elastic? other ccomplications that might be related to age?
how soon after surgery were you able to go back to work?
and, are you glad you did it!?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As a surgeon who has operated on a number of men over 50 for gynecomastia, please allow some comments and observations.

First, the operation can be done successfully.  Your skin, at age 50, has lost some of its elasticity -- as compared to a 20 year old.  So it will not snap back as tight as you might want -- in fact you may still have a discernible infra-mammary fold (the fold under the breasts) after the operation -- but that can look normal on a 50 year old.  I have never had any patient in whom the skin didn't tighten somewhat -- it is just that you cannot predict how much it will tighten.  Of course, if you are or have been very overweight, the loss of elasticity is compounded and depending on the case, sometimes a skin excision is necessary.

As for healing in general, if you are healthy, nutritionally fit and follow your surgeon's directions (all assuming the operation went well in the first place), you should heal well.

For virtually all of my patients, one may return to sedentary work usually within 3-4 days after surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline surgery2

• Posting Member
   I had surgery (gland & lipo removal)two days after my 55th birthday. I am just shy of eight weeks post-op. At the consultation I had asked the question will my skin tighten up after surgery. Doctor told me my chest skin was like someone in their twenties and should have no problems.I am guessing my chest is like this because my whole life I never removed my shirt to get any sunlight or to tan. I am very happy with my results.This is my second surgery. I have posts on this under Revision section.

Offline surgery2

• Posting Member
 I took one weeks vacation time and returned to work. At work I was just careful not to lift anything heavy. Yes, I am happy I had the surgery.I had lipo only done in '1985' and now when I am healed my Doctor is going to lipo my upper pecs to remove a thin layer of fat.

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
I had my surgery at 58 and couldn't be happier.

I'm on the slim side, but most of my gyne was fat. I hated the feminine contour of my boobs. My ps didn't perform an excision (since I've never really had puffy nipples), just lipo.

By week 5 post-op, my skin had shrunk back and looks fine.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024