Author Topic: Question regarding post op care  (Read 1796 times)

Offline zak9d

Hi this question is open to plastic surgeons. I am a patient who has just undergone gynecomastia surgery along with a very little liposuction.
I am about 6 feet tall and 130Lb.
I live in India so its somewhat like summer which may result in quicker healing, I was wrapped in ace bandages for the first 3 days which were removed later. After surgery I did not require any pain medication and I preferred to sleep 15 hrs a day to quicken the recovery for the first 5 days, but I dont know if that helped. Today marks the second week of my surgery. I had a VERY SMALL amount of mammary gland(unilateral) about 1 inch.
No visible bruises or scars except the periareolar scar of excision. I was wearing a tight compression belt as instructed by my doctor till today but I dont want to anymore.
I am worried about wrinkling and dimples but due to very little amount of mammary gland excised this may not occur. My surgeon was a plastic surgeon and a good one as I am told.
I am 19 years old.

What do you think?
PS I apologize if I sound a little stubborn type.
Also I am not able to lift my arm to complete vertical level, it pains when I level my arm with my shoulder and that limits my movements.
Suggestions and I wonder how long I have to still wear the garment as my doctor is away on vacation.
Thank you.
PS I am a medical student with aim of becoming a surgeon one day so if you could possibly explain the importance of the compression vest in healing it would be awesome.

Offline zak9d

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I recommend use of compression for 4 weeks after surgery.  I encourage a compression vest for the first week, as these tend to be more snug than can be achieved with some of the available sports-related compression shirts, but more importantly, they can be put on and taken off without much struggle, as can be required with compression shirts.  Compression helps to minimize and bleeding or fluid accumulation in the early post-op period, and in the longer term, it helps to control swelling and aid with shaping and support of the skin during early healing. 

I hope that helps.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com