Author Topic: Gyno after medication? [pics] UPDATE: running tamoxifen (nolvadex)  (Read 18657 times)

Offline errible

• Posting Member
After using beta sitosterol and saw palmetto (marketed as prostate medication) in an effort to slow the progression of my hair loss, I'm rather sure I've acquired gynecomastia. I've become markedly depressed; this is not at all what I need right now on top of going bald at 20 years old.

Do I have any (non surgical) options, having caught it relatively soon after its initial onset? Please, any input is appreciated. How bad is it, really?

Finally, my doctor told me it will likely go away over time, as I have now stopped the medication completely. I'm skeptical, and unsure that this would be a probably outcome. I've seen cases on hair loss forums which contradict what she is telling me. Thoughts?

As an aside, I'm rather worried I'll end up like this gentleman; http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/34/new-here-my-photo/
Who took a similar prostate medication, then stopped, but his gyno continued to grow. Any insight? Are there preventative measures I can take?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:26:32 PM by errible »

Offline Frank Z

• Posting Member
I took Saw Palmetto (2x320mg a day) for about a year to treat BPH and developed a full B cup breast. I felt soreness in my chest for months and ignored it which was not a good idea. After months of soreness and tenderness it seemed like one morning I just woke up with breasts! I'll bet 90% of the growth occurred in about a months span.

I am in my late 40's and have had BPH for nearly 20 years. The good news was that my BPH symptoms all but disappeared and my thinning scalp filled in nicely (something I was not expecting at all). Despite the improvement in the BPH symptoms and hairline, I gave up the Saw Palmetto once I did some research and made the connection to gynecomastia. That was over a year ago and my breasts have not changed (for better or worse). I am afraid I am stuck with them at this point. BTW, it was that research that lead me to this wonderful website!

I will not elect to have surgery. I am overweight and probably not a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery anyway so I am trying different ways to hide them. My wife says I should not worry about what other people think and I should not even bother to try and hide them (easy for her to say). I am very aware of what they look like and how they jiggle and I'm quite embarrassed.

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I took Saw Palmetto (2x320mg a day) for about a year to treat BPH and developed a full B cup breast. I felt soreness in my chest for months and ignored it which was not a good idea. After months of soreness and tenderness it seemed like one morning I just woke up with breasts! I'll bet 90% of the growth occurred in about a months span.

I am in my late 40's and have had BPH for nearly 20 years. The good news was that my BPH symptoms all but disappeared and my thinning scalp filled in nicely (something I was not expecting at all). Despite the improvement in the BPH symptoms and hairline, I gave up the Saw Palmetto once I did some research and made the connection to gynecomastia. That was over a year ago and my breasts have not changed (for better or worse). I am afraid I am stuck with them at this point. BTW, it was that research that lead me to this wonderful website!

I will not elect to have surgery. I am overweight and probably not a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery anyway so I am trying different ways to hide them. My wife says I should not worry about what other people think and I should not even bother to try and hide them (easy for her to say). I am very aware of what they look like and how they jiggle and I'm quite embarrassed.

Hi Frank,

MY photos are somewhere around.  I have a pair of 54DD breasts.  They look smaller than Jim38C because my chest is so much larger.  For all sorts of reasons I'm not a good surgical candidate and if I were there are several procedures I would have done before breast removal but none of it is affordable.  I have come to acceptance of them.  I'm a nudist and they really make no difference.  At this point I would prefer they looked better since they are going nowhere.  I work out in the back yard without a shirt and around here the neighbors make faces and close their curtains.  One neighbor won't let his grandchildren or wife out back if I'm out there.  I suppose he thinks they are infectious or something.  The old lady behind shuts all the curtains on the backside of the house and won't let her hubby out.

Nothing much ever seems to affect them.  They did shrink a little,  all the way down to DD, when I lost 85 pounds of water accumulated because of health problems.  They do make an interesting conversation piece with some of the nudist ladies but in no way interfere.  They have gotten me a number of "you can feel mine if I can feel yours" offers with some of the ladies.  When I do exchange massages the ladies usually have me do their breasts too.  So I can honestly say they have become an asset since the hell of junior high and high school.  Otherwise, at the nudist clubs they are a complete non-issue.  Outside the clubs it bothers a few who ignore me ostentatiously and attracts the bullies who in their attempts to bully merely hand me a straight line to make them look ridiculous.   The only real problem is that they cast shadows that makes for tan lines which I would prefer not to have but I don't sit out tanning so there it is, a problem only for a nudist.  I do get to sit around with the ladies comparing their breast shadow tan lines.

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Unfortunately its highly unlikely that it will go away over time. Once developed gyno is a permanent condition, even with the causative agent removed -in your case the medication. 

Surgery is the only curative option. However, the internet is full of claims about pills and creams. These are based on little or non existant scientific evidence and you would do best to avoid them.

The drug tamoxifen has been studied for its ability to treat gynecomastia. It would be fair to say that it has some success. However, it has only ever proved beneficial in the absolute earliest stages of gynecomastia development, I mean the first weeks - couple of months. Even then it does not work for everyone and when it does work the effects could be minimal or may just relate to helping with tenderness. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. it may produce all kinds of side effects and it should only be prescribed.

BTW i think your chest looks good

hammer

There are a lot of things worse then gynecomastia and going bald! How would like to spend the rest of your life in a wheel chair unable to walk, or  not have the use of your arms to scratch an itch?

I always try to look at the ways I have been blessed instead of the bad things that have happen in my life. I have had my share, feel free to read "my story after all these years" in stories. To me having double "Ds" are nothing more then a hang nail!

God put hair on the head of some men, and others he made bald! On some he gave big breast, and others he made then small.

I also agree, your chest looks fine.

Bob aka Hammer

Offline errible

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

It's rather unfortunate to hear that the gyno will unlikely go away over time. Beginning to question my GP..

The drug tamoxifen has been studied for its ability to treat gynecomastia. It would be fair to say that it has some success. However, it has only ever proved beneficial in the absolute earliest stages of gynecomastia development, I mean the first weeks - couple of months. Even then it does not work for everyone and when it does work the effects could be minimal or may just relate to helping with tenderness. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. it may produce all kinds of side effects and it should only be prescribed.

I'm seriously considering tamoxifen, as my gyno is rather recent. What kinds of sides are associated with it? I researched it briefly and couldn't find any that sounded too terrible.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Estrogen blockers are better at preventing Gynecomastia and not all that good at treating it. That said, you might invest in some lab tests to see what your hormone levels are and talk to an Endocrinologist.

Many boys develop Gyecomastia in early puberty and have the conditions resolve without treatment as their hormones stabilize. In the same way, Gynecomastia caused by side evvects to drugs can also resolve IF the medication is withrawn soon enough. As your Doctor indicated, this happens rather slowly. The general feeling is that if the condition is essentially unchanged in two years it will not change. If the condition is going to resolve I would think you should see some sign of this in much less than two years. Obviously there are many of us who developed the condition and it did not resolve..
Grandpa Dan

Offline TigerPaws

errible,

While I am sure you believe your case is terrible believe me there are those of us who are FAR more noticeable. I am a full 38C on a relatively trim frame (as you are) so unless you continue to develop do not be too concerned about what you have.

Your doctor is more than likely ignorant as to what has/is happening to you, Saw Palmetto is used by men for natural breast enhancement so you should stop taking it if you do not want to continue your development. Additionally what you now have you are stuck with so unless you want surgery move on over the the "Acceptance" section of this forum.

As for hair loss, please remember there are ALWAYS side effects and breast development is one of them. Going bald is not so bad, believe me many ladies either do not care or actually prefer it. The same is true for your breast development.

Offline errible

• Posting Member
Paa_Paw, TigerPaws; thanks for the replies and input.

Estrogen blockers are better at preventing Gynecomastia and not all that good at treating it. That said, you might invest in some lab tests to see what your hormone levels are and talk to an Endocrinologist.

Many boys develop Gyecomastia in early puberty and have the conditions resolve without treatment as their hormones stabilize. In the same way, Gynecomastia caused by side evvects to drugs can also resolve IF the medication is withrawn soon enough. As your Doctor indicated, this happens rather slowly. The general feeling is that if the condition is essentially unchanged in two years it will not change. If the condition is going to resolve I would think you should see some sign of this in much less than two years. Obviously there are many of us who developed the condition and it did not resolve..

I will absolutely check out an endocrinologist, but I fear my options are limited. When I do go and see the endocrinologist, do you feel it would be worth it to try tamoxifen out for a while? Even if only to prevent the condition from worsening?

errible,

While I am sure you believe your case is terrible believe me there are those of us who are FAR more noticeable. I am a full 38C on a relatively trim frame (as you are) so unless you continue to develop do not be too concerned about what you have.

Your doctor is more than likely ignorant as to what has/is happening to you, Saw Palmetto is used by men for natural breast enhancement so you should stop taking it if you do not want to continue your development. Additionally what you now have you are stuck with so unless you want surgery move on over the the "Acceptance" section of this forum.

As for hair loss, please remember there are ALWAYS side effects and breast development is one of them. Going bald is not so bad, believe me many ladies either do not care or actually prefer it. The same is true for your breast development.

TigerPaws; I understand the extent of my gynecomastia is not necessarily terrible yet, and am entirely empathetic towards anyone having to deal with this condition, whatever the degree of severity.

It's more of just a shocker for me, and I worry it will get worse. Do you feel that since I've discontinued the medication entirely, the gynecomastia won't progress? Or is it tough to gauge such a thing?

Offline errible

• Posting Member
I would very much appreciate the boards opinion on this particular study;

ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts/2000marburg/researchabstracts/p27-ferrando.htm

"Three males aged 18 to 29 with grades II to IV of the Hamilton/Norwood classification developed unilateral gynecomastia after 2 to 6 months on treatment with 1 mg oral finasteride (one case with ProscarTM, 1/5 of tablet per day, two cases with PropeciaTM).[...] In all cases gynecomastia disappeared between 2 to 6 months after the treatment was discontinued.

Five mg oral finasteride (ProscarTM) used for treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy can produce gynecomastia, so it would not be rare to find that effect with PropeciaTM. Gynecomastia is mainly caused by alterations of estrogen/androgen ratio. Finasteride decreases circulating dihydrotestosterone levels, increasing serum estradiol, so it could produce gynecomastia.Gynecomastia produced by PropeciaTM is transient and disapears if the treatment is discontinued."

As a final question; is it worth waiting to see if the gynecomastia gets better over time, or better in some instances to have surgery earlier on before the condition might worsen?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 06:34:15 PM by errible »

Offline TigerPaws

I would very much appreciate the boards opinion on this particular study;

ehrs.org/conferenceabstracts/2000marburg/researchabstracts/p27-ferrando.htm

"Three males aged 18 to 29 with grades II to IV of the Hamilton/Norwood classification developed unilateral gynecomastia after 2 to 6 months on treatment with 1 mg oral finasteride (one case with ProscarTM, 1/5 of tablet per day, two cases with PropeciaTM).[...] In all cases gynecomastia disappeared between 2 to 6 months after the treatment was discontinued.

Five mg oral finasteride (ProscarTM) used for treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy can produce gynecomastia, so it would not be rare to find that effect with PropeciaTM. Gynecomastia is mainly caused by alterations of estrogen/androgen ratio. Finasteride decreases circulating dihydrotestosterone levels, increasing serum estradiol, so it could produce gynecomastia.Gynecomastia produced by PropeciaTM is transient and disapears if the treatment is discontinued."

As a final question; is it worth waiting to see if the gynecomastia gets better over time, or better in some instances to have surgery earlier on before the condition might worsen?
Finasteride is a very powerful DHT inhibitor which suppresses Testosterone, it is one of the DHT/Testosterone inhibitors most preferred with the Male to Female Transsexual community. Take it long enough and your natural Estrogen which is normally overpowered by your Testosterone will become dominate.

Men have breasts which are exactly the same as women, the difference is that Testosterone is a far more powerful hormone and it overpowers your natural Estrogen. Given enough time Finasteride will shrink your testicles which will further reduce your Testosterone and well you see where this is going.

As far as your "condition" becoming more pronounced (developed) that will be very difficult to evaluate by any physician no matter what they tell you because each person is very different, it all depends on your genetics. If your mother has/had large breasts you could develop up to 1 cup size smaller than her though with Finasteride alone that is unlikely but not unheard of.

The best suggestion is to get off of any DHT or other medications that inhibit your natural Testosterone production (if possible), other than that you have a waiting game to see what develops  :'(.

Look having real breasts (not sacks of fat) is not as bad as you might think, like anything else you will need to work through your own self esteem issues which will be a roller coaster ride. While surgery is always an option but know that there are always side effects and there is NO guarantee that what you "perceived" as an issue will be solved by what is nothing less than a full Mastectomy. 

hammer

Hell, I have become attached to my breast, somewhat! If they had to be removed I think I would miss them after all these years! Don't get wrong, I don't like or love them, but I have had them so long I don't remember what it is like not to have them!

Offline TigerPaws

Hell, I have become attached to my breast, somewhat! If they had to be removed I think I would miss them after all these years! Don't get wrong, I don't like or love them, but I have had them so long I don't remember what it is like not to have them!
;D Well maybe someday those of us who need them will be able to wear a sexy bikini  :o

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member

I have to go with hammer.  These breasts have been part of me for 52 years.  It would take a full double mastectomy to get rid of them. And for what gain?  Making the neighbors more comfortable?  I will NOT give them that kind of control over my life.

hammer

I have to go with hammer.  These breasts have been part of me for 52 years.  It would take a full double mastectomy to get rid of them. And for what gain?  Making the neighbors more comfortable?  I will NOT give them that kind of control over my life.

Exactly, don't give them or anyone any control, be it the neighbors, insurance co. or the government!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024