Author Topic: Sports Bras - Not good for extended wear  (Read 15589 times)

Offline iam32bit

• Posting Member
Since joining this interesting community I have noticed that there really isn't much help to be offered.  I am talking about real information not "Acceptance = flaunting your stuff"  So please look out for some other topics regarding real issues and real experience.

The majority of guys here want to hide their breasts.  I know that I originally was one of them.  I still want to hide them, however I have found compression to be more trouble then it is worth.

I have suffered from irritated nipples for awhile.  It seems that Sports Bras and even Compression Vests cause more irritation.  I am forced with two options either I deal with the added discomfort or I put myself first and not care what others think.

Sports Bras were never intended for extended wear.  They are supposed to control breast movement when performing physical activities.  They are only comfortable for a few hours before your breasts start getting itchy.  When wearing a Sports Bra it did make my breasts less pronounced.  However it doesn't completely flatten to the point that I would have liked.

I never wear a Sports Bra at home, I wear a regular "T-Shirt" bra.  Honestly it is so comfortable and I tend to forget that I am wearing it.  But, one issue it does nothing to hide or shrink your breasts.  I can see why the majority of guys refuse to try a regular bra.

Usually comparisons like "Convenience and Security are on opposite poles" the same is true for a gynecomastia sufferers.  Just note that you will have to make the choice, do you want to be comfortable? or do you want to hide your breasts?  Compression vests and under-armor leave you with discomfort.

At first I wanted to hide my breasts, now not so much.  Why should I suffer discomfort to make others feel better.  Yes it is awkward to see a man with breasts, but in this day and age, we all need to grow up.  I stopped caring what others think, time for us all to do the same.

hammer

You need to read more post! There are a lot of us here that wear regular bras! We have found that they are the most comfortable!

I have double "Ds" so I don't even try to hide mine anymore. I find that I like bras that fasten in front the best!

Welcome to the forum where you can find a lot of opinion on "support"

Bob aka Hammer

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Yeah I'm one of those guys who wears a regular and not sports bra.  My preference is the T-shirt style that "disappears" under my shirt.  I'm a 38B so someone may notice my breasts but won't see that I'm wearing a bra.  That's a good thing since after wearing a bra for a number of years I'm more comfortable wearing one than when I don't.

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
I too have found that what is the most comfortable to wear is the least concealing, while what is the most uncomfortable provides the most concealment. For me, the most comfortable and supportive bras are under-wire. I'm a 40D and still growing. For me, while I don't wish to draw attention to myself, I do want to be comfortable. Going bra-less just isn't comfortable most of the time because of the sweat under my breasts and the constant distraction of motion. Of course, winter is always easier because I can hide under lots of clothing. Summer can be tough as it often leaves nowhere to hide. I've yet to find a sports bra that I could wear for more than a short time.

It's true that most of the younger guys here (perhaps 40-ish and below), are far more concerned about their physical appearance to others than us older guys. I see some posts from guys that appear to have little more than hard nipples who are "freaked-out" and want immediate surgery. My point here is that for many younger guys their sense of self is closely tied to their physical appearance. Older guys (in general) have come to understand that their bodies are just containers for the person that's inside. These containers are hard-wired to self-destruct. That is, your body will do all sorts of things to you without asking your permission. Growing breasts is just one possibility. Tumors, cancer, heart disease, aneurysms, strokes, blindness, and a whole host of other ailments are on the list of things your body may do as well. Many of us older guys (and some younger ones) have faced a few of these other things along the way. In doing so we learn some lessons about perspective that provide a clarity we didn't when we were young. My breasts are a result of hormone deficiency and the side-effects of various medications. My other health concerns are of far greater importance than my breasts.

Good on you for keeping your head straight on this. Many guys aren't able to, even many old guys. I had known a guy for over 35-years who just couldn't handle the fact that I have breasts and wear a bra. He proved the truth of the saying that your friends are the one's coming in the door when everyone else is going out!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If rubbing and chaffing is the major concern, You can find male undergarments made of Nylon tricot knit. The same stuff a woman's slip or panties would be made of. The difference is that they are tailored for men. No frills or lace, but a smooth slick fabric that does not chaff. They are easy to find on line.
Grandpa Dan

hammer

If rubbing and chaffing is the major concern, You can find male undergarments made of Nylon tricot knit. The same stuff a woman's slip or panties would be made of. The difference is that they are tailored for men. No frills or lace, but a smooth slick fabric that does not chaff. They are easy to find on line.

Paa_Paw, I have read many times, "they are easy to find on line".  The Internet is such a handi tool now days! I use it for all my radio work (hobby) many of us here in acceptance us it to buy our bras so we don't need to go to the stores shopping for them. I sell all the stuff I have gotten over the years on eBay. We can stay in touch with our military members so much easier now, ect.......

What the heck did us old farts do without it for so long?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
We didn't need to find things online because a local merchant had it.

I remember going into a hardware store many years ago. I was looking for an very small screw that was not too common. I told the old man at the counter that I needed a #4-40 machine screw with a fillister head and right hand threads. After peering through some tiny drawers in a cabinet he asked: "How Long?" I told him and he looked a bit more. finally he peered at me over his glasses and asked: "Blue or Bright zinc plated?" I got the blue and went home to remount the scope on my 22 rifle. I was just a boy but I could get anything at a local merchant. Now at the age of almost 76, I have no idea where I would find such a screw. The old merchants are gone and the big box stores don't mess with such things as they don't generate enough revenue.

hammer

Oh ya, the old hardware store! We still have Ace Hardware here and I love that store! In fact, I bought my last fishing pole there. It is a collapsable pole to carry on my three wheel moped. It had the best price that I had seen on any collapsable pole around!

The service was/is better as well there too!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Almost anything you couldn't find in the hardware was in the Dry Goods Store.

In the rare case that you still struck out, There were still the Sears, Wards, and Speigel Catalogs.

My first shotgun was ordered from a catalog. Try that now.

hammer

I'll bet there are a lot that don't know what "Montgomery Wards" is/was!

My first shot gun was a Sears, and I passed that on to my oldest daughter when she passed gun safety.

As far as ordering a gun from a catalog, I remember when my mom and brother bought my dad his .22 Ruger pistol.  Back then it was $50. And mom just showed her ID, and payed. Now that same gun Sells for $350.00 used. You do need a background check in a lot of purchases that you make with hand gun, contrary to what the politicians want you to believe! I know, I own hand guns, so I had to buy them at some point in time, and they were all bought legally, some at places like Cabelas, others at gun shows.

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
I too gave up wearing a sports bra daily, just too uncomfortable (and often pretty warm), vests are way too warm for me.

I found that t-shirt bras are often really hard to see under a shirt, so it works out real well.  The adjusters on the straps are often the only visible thing and with a patterned shirt are pretty hard to see.  Obviously if you have a lot of size, it will show in front, but it is going to show pretty much no matter what you do.  I have found a Vanity Fair 70380 minimizer is a fantastic bra to hide as much as a sports bra.  And far more comfortable and cooler. 

Sports bras for me tend to inflame my right side of my rib cage, it gets real sore and red.  Looser band isn't the answer, it just ill fits then.  My left side never had the issue, only my right.  Solution?  Avoid long term wearing sports bras!

aboywithgirls

I have also moved onto T shirt bras. I had been wearing vanity fair and soma for years. I now have a new favorite, Panache. I have very feminine appearing breasts which happen to fill my 38E bras. I was so sick of the discomfort of my sports bras. It felt Having a mammogram For 16 hours straight! !!

Offline walt

• Gold Member
I need a more supportive bra but I think the wife might believe I am trying to be to feminen.so its time for the talk.and hope she is supportive as she is with sports bras.

hammer

Being I've had to go up to a 48 H I'm going to try a new bra with a support back from "Linda the bra lady" it is the Elila Jacquard Softcup Posture Bra 1415.

Offline Bman41

• Gold Member
I have been sticking more and more with minimizers most of the time.  They aren't bad on comfort, they do press sometimes and feel a little uncomfortable, but generally not bad at all.

I have a 3 Soma Minimizers (1" Sensuous Sides, 3" Sensuous Sides and a Embraceable No Show Minimizer), my favorite Vanity Fair 76080 broke the wire, I am so disappointed.  Plastic wires have no place in bra!  Such a comfortable bra and let down by cheap parts. 

I was trying non minimizers, but I have leaned back towards minimizers to do what I can to keep it not so obvious.  Fitting a 40C now, I have lost weight, (maybe 20 lbs since Christmas), but only thing I have lost upstairs is band size, I have 1 38D that fits well, my 40C's are all on minimum clasp now.  But not losing breast size like I and my wife had hoped. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024