Author Topic: Beyond our own acceptance  (Read 4577 times)

aboywithgirls

It seems to me that most of the guys who post here have accepted their breasts as being a part of who they are. Most of us here also have resolved to wear a bra to get through the day to day activities rather than endure constant pain caused by our growing bust. We've come to accept our breasts and made the decision to not have surgery whether It is due to cost, risk, pain, or you simply accept them as a part of you.

My question is, do you think society has become more receptive  to seeing a man with breasts, in a bra and do you suppose one day we will have full acceptance and be as mainstream as other groups that some once considered as outcasts have now become?

hammer

I really think that most people are to busy with their own thoughts and what is going on in their lives to even notice the people around them! We often think that others notice our breast, but the truth is they do not!

As for acceptance, yes they will! People accept Same sex couples, transgender, and cross dressers so why not a guy that has breast. It isn't like we grow them on purpose, or went and had cosmetic surgery to increase the size of them, but still look like a guy with big boobs. It is a medical condition with a majority of males that will deal with it at some point in their life.

Yesterday I had my monthly acupuncture treatment and the doctor and I were talking about this subject, that is the increase of gynecomastia, and the causes of the increases. I won't get into the reasons of the increases, but he also feels that we will continue to see the numbers of cases climb as time goes on. So if health care doesn't start covering surgery there may be a lot more men wearing support, and still there will be many that will choose not to have surgery for one reason of another.

aboywithgirls

Thanks hammer, I'm thinking it'll be a decade so before you see bras hanging in the men's department at JC Penny but I'm fairly certain that someday they will.

Society will have to be educated to the fact that we have breasts not because we are overweight, but the fact of the matter is that true gynecomastia By definition alone means woman's breast. The doctors didn't call it that because he thought his patient was fat. It's because he had real breasts that developed breasts because of the same hormones that causes females to develop.

TomJones

With the abundance of estrogens in our environment, it will only be a short while before it becomes the norm for men to have to watch bra commercials --- FOR MEN.

Tom

Offline gotgyne

In my opinion wearing a bra which is invisible under a patterned shirt is no problem. But what about a bra under a thin white shirt? The straps and the back of the garment are clearly visible. Some time ago I've tried it and wore a white bra under a white crinkle shirt to a supermarket. And guess what? Nothing happened! It really seems that people are very busy with their own thoughts as Hammer already wrote.
But as long as men are embarrassed to wear a bra and try to hide the garment it will never become normality. The number of males of all ages with gynecomastia is rising quickly. I'd wish that their female relatives (mothers, aunts, etc.) and partners (girlfriends, wives) know about this condition and are supportive. Their recommendations to wear a bra could be very helpful.

John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

hammer

High John, any more work on the house this year?

The truth is, people are really to busy to notice you or me! When doing witness interviews and there are fifteen witnesses you will get twelve stories one will be good two close.

Let's say it was a armed hold up, and it was done by a white man, more then half will say black, but it is because they assume black, others will say white because they don't want to assume or seem prejudice.

Now we don't even need to go into the hight, weight, hair style, ect.....

Offline igotum

• Bronze Member
I am fairly new to this forum but not new to gyne. When it got bad enough a couple of years ago I was complaining to my wife about being tender all the time and she promptly brought out one of her old bras and told me to try it. Wow the comfort it gave me. The rest of the story is I am
size 40 C and wear a bra every day now even when going to the doctor. While I am not proud of the gyne I am not ashamed of it either. When I first started wearing a bra I was uncomfortable about me, a guy wearing a bra.  I got over that in a few weeks and now don't feel right without it. I have never even had a stare or comment. I don't flaunt it by wearing real thin shirts but wear normal clothes. I don't wear skin tight tee shirts but wear a tee some. If someone is uncomfortable about it it is their problem not mine. My wife of 21 years goes bra-less most of the time but is very supportive of me wearing one....go figure.

hammer

We here on the forum have a saying, "a bra is a garment for supporting breast and it doesn't mater if the breast are on a man or woman"!

My breast have grown to a "H" cup, my primary care doctor at the VA hospital has told me to go for a professional fitting and I did that, and it went very well. My wife and daughters as well as other family members and a few friends that know about the bra are very supportive.

I don't try to let it be noticeable either however at my size they can be very hard, but people don't pay much attention anyway. My wife of 27 years is much smaller them me and never goes without!

aboywithgirls

That's great some of it sounds very familiar to me. When I get out of bed in the morning the first thing I reach for is my bra. My wife will go braless. I think some of this has to do with the fact that our breasts are still growing and their's are done. I wear a 38E and my wife wears a 36E in the same bra so we share most of our bras. I try not to flaunt my chest either but I also don't hide in shame. I hope more men will come to realize that bras are for breasts, not just for women and that they have choice to wear a bra without feeling embarrassed. Bras may even become as unisex as a ball cap, tshirt, jeans or anything else that women have adopted from a man's wardrobe for comfort.

aboywithgirls

Well that's what I'm hoping for. Health care is catching up with men with breasts and is now paying for men to have mammograms. Most boutiques and department stores welcome men to shop and try on bras, and be professionally fitted. Once word gets out to daytime TV, we will be able to show what we have without prejudice whether your at home, on the street or even the beach. We deserve the same treatment for our breasts that women have had for theirs.

Brdy64

That's great some of it sounds very familiar to me. When I get out of bed in the morning the first thing I reach for is my bra. My wife will go braless. I think some of this has to do with the fact that our breasts are still growing and their's are done. I wear a 38E and my wife wears a 36E in the same bra so we share most of our bras. I try not to flaunt my chest either but I also don't hide in shame. I hope more men will come to realize that bras are for breasts, not just for women and that they have choice to wear a bra without feeling embarrassed. Bras may even become as unisex as a ball cap, tshirt, jeans or anything else that women have adopted from a man's wardrobe for comfort.
I'm only a D cup but I wear a bra everyday for the comfort and support it provides. I even go to the doctor's office with my bra on, and the doctor did comment at first however I told him that I needed some support and he was understanding. Accepting that you have boobs, and accepting the fact that you need support is the easiest part of the journey. My hardest issue to deal with are rude remarks, jokes, or just people staring at your chest when you're talking to them.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024