Author Topic: Extreme swelling/haematoma 1 week after surgery! NEED HELP! (pics inside)  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Theyaregone

UPD: Just got back from the doc, he successfully drained the hematoma and now my right side is soft and flat! He told me to start doing massages tomorrow to prevent it from swelling again.

Hey guys so I had a surgery 1 week ago. Just a gland  extraction, no liposuction. The night after the surgery my right side started bleeding, so I went to the clinic and they removed the bloody tissues and bandages and applied new ones. However the next day it bled a bit too without me even noticing it! I only noticed 3 days later when I took a shower! So I think I developed a haematoma and I don't know what to do now. The right side looks and feels twice as big as the left one. My surgeon is out of the country and will only be back on 4 November. I'm attaching the pics so maybe you could help me or tell if it's a haematoma or not.
PICTURES: http://imgur.com/a/H4Lh4
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:07:50 AM by Theyaregone »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, this may be a hematoma.  Assuming there is no infection, there is probably minimal harm to wait until your surgeon returns.  Sometimes, with small hematomas, a surgeon can aspirate the liquid blood with a syringe -- but indeed one needs to wait around two weeks for the solid blood clot to liquify -- so his absence may be timed perfectly.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Theyaregone

Yes, this may be a hematoma.  Assuming there is no infection, there is probably minimal harm to wait until your surgeon returns.  Sometimes, with small hematomas, a surgeon can aspirate the liquid blood with a syringe -- but indeed one needs to wait around two weeks for the solid blood clot to liquify -- so his absence may be timed perfectly.

Dr Jacobs
Thank you Dr Jacobs! One thing that's really bothering me is that it has become VERY hard to touch and it's really huge. Like, 3 times as huge as it was before the surgery! Is this normal or should I seek for another surgeon ASAP?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Hematomas are usually very firm -- no surprise.

Unfortunately you are between a rock and hard place.  If the hematoma is large, it should be evacuated, but it is not an actual emergency.  If it is relatively small (and only your surgeon would know that), then it might be able to be managed by serial aspiration once it has liquified (usually two or more weeks).

It is unlikely that you will find another plastic surgeon who would be willing to step in at this time.  If your surgeon has a close associate or someone who is covering him during his absence, it might be a good idea to consult with that person.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline Theyaregone

Hematomas are usually very firm -- no surprise.

Unfortunately you are between a rock and hard place.  If the hematoma is large, it should be evacuated, but it is not an actual emergency.  If it is relatively small (and only your surgeon would know that), then it might be able to be managed by serial aspiration once it has liquified (usually two or more weeks).

It is unlikely that you will find another plastic surgeon who would be willing to step in at this time.  If your surgeon has a close associate or someone who is covering him during his absence, it might be a good idea to consult with that person.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Thanks a lot, I'll just wait for his return then

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024