Author Topic: Should I have gynecomastia surgery (updated; still unsure)?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline bv95

I'm a 21 year old male, and I have had low T and some gynecomastia.  I was prescribed Anastrozole and have seen it shrink some.

Avg guys have an areola of ~2.8cm. Mine are 4cm and 3.5–3.75cm respectively. Nipples are pretty normal size and not fluffy. I have lost over 45 lbs this year. I'm working really hard, and my chest has significantly flattened. However, my areolas are constant. It bothers me a lot, because my sister used to call me "man boobs" as a kid. I haven't really been swimming without a shirt since I was 11 or 12.

I visited a plastic surgeon who seems very knowledgeable and made a down payment of 1/2 the surgery cost. However, he recommended a donut incision (b/c he said that will have less scarring). I left the doctor feeling great, and then read another doctor online who says the scars are horrible. I don't know what's worse having larger areolas or getting the surgery (possibly having bad scars) and telling a future wife that I've had this surgery. It's all so embarrassing for me.  My dad gets mad when I say that I think I don't want to do it. We did put down a large payment, but they said they'd refund all but $500.

I guess I just need some feedback, opinions, and help. I have never had surgery in my life. I really don't know what to do. I've read this site quite a bit in the last few weeks/months.  I guess my big question is at 1.2cm difference between me and the average do you think a surgery is warranted?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:26:32 AM by bv95 »

giggsy

I'm a 21 year old male, and I have had low T and some gynecomastia.  I was prescribed Anastrozole and have seen it shrink some.

Avg guys have an areola of ~2.8cm. Mine are 4cm and 3.5–3.75cm respectively. Nipples are pretty normal size and not fluffy. I have lost over 45 lbs this year. I'm working really hard, and my chest has significantly flattened. However, my areolas are constant. It bothers me a lot, because my sister used to call me "man boobs" as a kid. I haven't really been swimming without a shirt since I was 11 or 12.

I visited a plastic surgeon who seems very knowledgeable and made a down payment of 1/2 the surgery cost. However, he recommended a donut incision (b/c he said that will have less scarring). I left the doctor feeling great, and then read another doctor online who says the scars are horrible. I don't know what's worse having larger areolas or getting the surgery (possibly having bad scars) and telling a future wife that I've had this surgery. It's all so embarrassing for me.  My dad gets mad when I say that I think I don't want to do it. We did put down a large payment, but they said they'd refund all but $500.

I guess I just need some feedback, opinions, and help. I have never had surgery in my life. I really don't know what to do. I've read this site quite a bit in the last few weeks/months.  I guess my big question is at 1.2cm difference between me and the average do you think a surgery is warranted?

post a picture man

Offline bv95

Ok... here goes... Let's hope no girl sees this and recognizes me. It won't let me upload here... so here's a link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0278.JPG

Offline HairyKnockers

• Bronze Member
Yes, the importance of seeing what we are commenting about.  You seem on the heavy side.  Regardless the skill of the surgeon you will not get as good of results heavy as you will leaner.  If you wait until you drop some of the excess weight you will do better.  I suggest that you look at the following thread;  www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31902.0,  

SmokeyNYY has done an incredible jog with, weight reduction, surgery, and finally working out to shape his body.  Follow his diet and exercise routing and you can’t go wrong.

giggsy

Yes, the importance of seeing what we are commenting about.  You seem on the heavy side.  Regardless the skill of the surgeon you will not get as good of results heavy as you will leaner.  If you wait until you drop some of the excess weight you will do better.  I suggest that you look at the following thread;  www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31902.0,  

SmokeyNYY has done an incredible jog with, weight reduction, surgery, and finally working out to shape his body.  Follow his diet and exercise routing and you can’t go wrong.

This. Good luck bro

hammer

I'll comment on having surgery!  I've had 8 of them however I have not had gyno surgery. 3 of my surgeries have been major back, and I've had both knees totally replaced. The others were minor same day surgeries.

When you have surgeries we are in a very controlled situation with a well trained team of professionals working together for a common goal of taking the best care of you, the patient! Yes, there can and have been mistakes made, but in my experiences have all been very positive!

One of my surgeries took 9 hours, another 5.

Good luck

Offline jatinsingh0000

If you are suffering from [font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Gynecomastia and want to go for surgery then i suggest you to first Coordinate with your Doctor and then after this go for this surgery. But whereas i read about it that [/font][/color][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Gynecomastia gives 99% accurate results. you can also check about this surgery online  Gynecomastia Surgery [/font][/color][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. Firstly be prepare know about it, see its advantages and also post your picture and then so for this surgery.[/font]

Offline bv95

I actually think that was an awful angle and selfie. I took several more a few hours apart. Yes, I'm overweight. I have lost 45lbs thus far and weigh 186 my goal is 155 (my ideal weight for BMI). I'm honestly starting to wonder if 1.2cm at most difference really matters. That's less than 1/2 an inch. I'm thinking it's bothering me more than anyone else.

I've decided to hold off on the surgery. This is probably the only opening in my life I will have for a few years, but I'm thinking if I lose more weight it will look better. I think it's more visible to me than anyone else. Plus, if I lose the weight and build some muscle... perhaps, I'll look ok without having the surgery. I'm also thinking a good girlfriend shouldn't really care. Nobody is absolutely flawless. I believe this has more to do with building my confidence then getting a surgery done. I'm planning on shedding the remaining pounds by September at a rate of 2lbs/wk.

Is this flawed logic? I'm scared of making the wrong choice. Here are some more pictures taken a few hours apart from the others:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0280.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0281.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0282.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0284.JPG

Offline Jollybean

• Posting Member
Don't think again and just do It bro. It will be the best decision you ever made. Good luck

hammer

I actually think that was an awful angle and selfie. I took several more a few hours apart. Yes, I'm overweight. I have lost 45lbs thus far and weigh 186 my goal is 155 (my ideal weight for BMI). I'm honestly starting to wonder if 1.2cm at most difference really matters. That's less than 1/2 an inch. I'm thinking it's bothering me more than anyone else.

I've decided to hold off on the surgery. This is probably the only opening in my life I will have for a few years, but I'm thinking if I lose more weight it will look better. I think it's more visible to me than anyone else. Plus, if I lose the weight and build some muscle... perhaps, I'll look ok without having the surgery. I'm also thinking a good girlfriend shouldn't really care. Nobody is absolutely flawless. I believe this has more to do with building my confidence then getting a surgery done. I'm planning on shedding the remaining pounds by September at a rate of 2lbs/wk.

Is this flawed logic? I'm scared of making the wrong choice. Here are some more pictures taken a few hours apart from the others:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0280.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0281.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0282.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bvtmp/IMG_0284.JPG

Young man, a good woman won't give a damn about your body and don't let anyone tell you anything else! I've been there done it, walked on 6 of the 7 continents, lived with gyno all my life, served in the military for 11 years with "breast" as a Navy diver, had my own business with breast, fathered 5 kids with breast, now will soon have my 5th grandchild and I wear a 46H bra to support the breast I have due to health issues!

You are a man due to what is in your heart and head not your body, especially your chest! A good woman will love you because you care for her, love her for who she is, know what matters to her, her favorite color, what she likes for breakfast, remember her birthday and so many simple things.

So don't make this about how you look, make it about how you make her feel!

Take it from someone who has been married happily for 30 years and has daughters, that is how you learn!

Good luck

Bob

Offline Alchemist

• Gold Member
I would suggest that you consider things.  I know guys who are at least as traumatized over the scars ("they will know") as they were the breasts.  They still. can't take off their shirt or live a normal life.  The surgery was a total failure in restoring the ability to live a normal life.  There are a lot of such failures with cosmetic surgery.  And minor surgeries can still leave a person messed up and damaged for the rest of their life, if any.  I had a friend die going under anesthesia about 10 years ago.  My father was badly damaged and almost killed by botched minor voluntary surgery.

I never had surgery and it wasn't around in the 50s and 60s.  By 1972 I had real medical problems to deal with for the rest of my life (now 69).  I wear a shirt or  t-shirt of  normal fit and comfortable fabric for summer during the summer.  I spend as much time at a nudist club as possible. Get used to your body and accept it, you will have it the rest of your life. 

Do what makes you happy.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
When my wife and I moved to our new home 12 years ago I went looking for a new clinic and hospital. I was appalled to find the plethora of negative comments.  Then I had an idea, I looked at the comments about the hospital where we had received excellent care for years and found that their comments were mostly negative too. 
Then I started looking at the complaints more carefully.  In almost every case, someone had an axe to grind.  A long wait for treatment of a child with a fever in the Emergency Room.  Arriving just before midnight.  The child had the fever for two days.   Ailments of all sorts that should have been treated in a clinic long ago and not in the ER.  None of those complaints came from people who went into the ER with Chest pain, Or who were bleeding etc.  

Do not believe the negative comments that you find on the internet. Ironically, Good comments are of little value either.  Some people pose their own good comments.  
If your Surgeon is well qualified, and you have done your homework, trust yourself and not someone who is in competition with them that you do not know. 
Be careful who you trust, then trust them completely. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline Hlodlo

• Posting Member
If it bothers you and you mentally and/or physically suffer from it then go ahead with the surgery. Just make sure you decide on your own terms and not because you feel you're obliged to. I'd actually say it's not the worst case I've seen because basically it just looks like standard ''manboobs'' to me, if you continue on and exercising. Build up a good amount of muscle and do some cardio + caloric deficit and if you still think it looks as bad then I'd definitely go through with it. Right now it would be hard to say how ''good or bad'' the outcome would be since you'd still carry a bit of fat in the chest and it wouldn't be completely flat. And there's ZERO shame in going through surgery for it, I know loads of people who have done it, everyone has something their insecure about and if you want to change it or not is not a big deal for anyone actually. I think people have more important things to focus on in their life than another mans chest haha. Best of luck 

Offline longdrives

• Posting Member
I lost over 25 lbs in the past year and to tell you the truth, I didnt even realize I had gyno all my life until I lost the weight.  What happened is everything slimmed down except by moobs.  They got a little smaller but then were much more pronounced with all the other weight loss.  So people who say you can lose weight and lift weights to pump up chest are pretty much wrong,  I Did all that and it looked horrible.  What made me do it was when my 4 year old son told me one day when it was super hot in our backyard, lets take our shirts off dad that will make us less hot and when I did my moobs were drooping like no other.  Did some research on puffy nipples and found this site, 3 weeks later I had the surgery and am already on the other side and looking great!! Just do it my man.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Based on the one photo you have posted, I would not recommend a donut mastopexy.  I agree with an earlier poster that you should really get your weight down quite a bit more before having gynecomastia surgery.  As you lose weight, your skin envelope will contract and to a certain degree the areola diameter may shrink . THEN, when you have the "classic" procedure of removal of breast (gland) tissue through an incision on the underside of your areola, and all excess fat and gland are removed, the areola diameter should be even smaller.  The donut mastopexy scar are typically pretty horrible - with potential for stretching out over the long term.
See my post in the Galleries section dated August 20, 2012.  That is a good example of how the areola diameter will shrink after surgery and weight loss. That young man actually lost most of his weight After his surgery.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024