Author Topic: Where do we draw the line?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
The most difficult thing I deal with on these boards is to look at somebody's extremely mild gyne and try to give meaningful advice on how to deal with it.  So many of the guys here are worried about what I would consider an almost normal chest.  I don't want to disrespect their self-consciousness, though... After all, it's just as bad mentally for a man who has just a little gyne as for one who has extreme gyne, right?... Or is it?  

At what point are we just encouraging somebody to get medical attention when they really need to be addressing their own self-consciousness?  At what point do we need to be less "politically correct" and just say "dude, there's nothing wrong with you".   The problem with that is that's what most of us all got from our families and GP's who didn't understand gyne.  I certainly don't want to be a part of THAT problem, either.   Men who are experiencing gyne don't have many resources that support them and don't deny them.  Most moderate to severe gyne cases are milder than mine was, so who am I to judge?

OK, I know we could debate this for the next year and not have a clear answer.  It's sometimes frustrating and I'm just venting.  
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
After all, it's just as bad mentally for a man who has just a little gyne as for one who has extreme gyne, right?... Or is it?

Right!

No matter what the severity is, not many guys want Gynecomastia. I would imagine that the sufferer with slight puffies suffers just the same as the sufferer with 'C' or 'D' cup m(o)(o)bs. However, a guy with puffies may have an easier time with it as puffies are easily hidden. Try hiding 'D' cups!    :-[ :o :-[    It aint easy let me tell you!

But yeah, in my opinion, Gyne is Gyne....  and the pain, surely, must be very similar from a very mild case to the most severe and and everywhere between....

John.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:20:54 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline SoooTiredof-IT-

• Posting Member
        Just think about the people that reduced the severity of their gyne through exercise and where left with an small amount of fat on their chest. For them the main purpose of working out was to eliminate the condition since it was affecting them through the course of their lifes. I would probably say that it would feel like falling a step behing of teh finish line. So.... the naturally think that they will relly on is on PS to solve the problem in their bodies wich will eventually solve their confidence , selfestem and consciusness issues.

Offline Mr_Nip

I realize that my point was hard to follow in that rambling post.  I do understand the suffering of gyne and I think all of you know that by now from my previous posts.  

The question/point I was really trying to make is this:

Do we tell everybody who posts a picture that they need to see an endocrynologist followed by a plastic surgeon?...  Or, is there a point of flatness that would make us say, "you don't have gynecomastia"?  

Offline Hypo-is-here

Right!

I would imagine that the sufferer with slight puffies suffers just the same as the sufferer with 'C' or 'D' cup m(o)(o)bs.

I strongly disagree, because of the second point you went on to make.

If you have significant gynecomastia that cannot be hidden by any clothing then your problem is alwasys exposed- which tends to be psychologically far more danaging.

Which would generally be more danaging for a man with minor gynecomastia;

To be seen with a shirt on at the beach?

or

To be seen bare chested on the beach?

I guarentee that people would tend to suffer a lot more if their gynecomastia was exposed.

If you can hide the condition in clothing, is is highly unlikley to be as difficult psychologically as it is for someone with more significnt gynecomastia who cannot hide what they have, who has their problem constatly exposed.

As for what to say to someone who arrives at the site.

I think it is a judgement call we all have to make based upon our experience and the appearance and language of the new poster.  We offer a genuine layman's opinion and we try to help as do others.   The new poster can then choose to take on board such opinion or choose to disregard them.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 05:43:07 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
i'm sorry but how really wants a totally flat chest,most people on this board worked out many hours to develop a big muscular chest and the majority of us do are around some extra weight around the mid -section so a flat chest would look out of propotion.I personally had a huge chest fat and gland 1000cc total removed and never was i expecting a totally flat chest just a chest that would suit my body type.

Offline flex1appeal

I certainly agree with the comments made by Hypo. I had a mild case compare to most but severe enough it hurt my psyche. I was fine wearing clothes but when it came time to bare chest it at the beach, no way. I was left self aware of my condition at that point. Some, are not as fortunate to be able to hide their condition wearing clothes. So for them, I'd only imaging that they feel bad almost always about the condition. Nonetheless, no one wants any case of gyno, severe or mild. It can have a damaging effect on anyone's pysche no matter how severe

Offline Mr_Nip

As for what to say to someone who arrives at the site.

I think it is a judgement call we all have to make based upon our experience and the appearance and language of the new poster.  We offer a genuine layman's opinion and we try to help as do others.   The new poster can then choose to take on board such opinion or choose to disregard them.

I like that answer.  It makes sense, but it also sums up what this site is all about.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024