Author Topic: Arnica and hyper-sensitivity  (Read 2693 times)

Offline lowt

• Posting Member
Hello all,

I have recently had surgery with Mr Levick. I will post pics soon.
Experience of surgery - excellent (apart from one very miserable nurse that signed me in).
Short term results - quite a haematoma (that managed to "migrate" to my hip), but that's not important.
Long term results - here's hoping.

One of the most uncomfortable things though was having scratch-your-skin-off rashes where the strapping glue was on my sides and back and exactly in the place where the butterfly "square" was on my left hand (for the injections).

My mother (clever dame) said that she'd heard that Arnica (when used in high doses over a protracted period) can cause hyper-sensitivity, and make the body very sensitive to allergies.
I can't find the exact pages that I found while Googling a few days ago, but several sites I found mention that long-ish usage can do this.

I have no allergies, but the itching that lasted for about 15 days after surgery was intense, and I had to get some anti-histamine tablets, and rub Eurax on it.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
i developed a rash on my chest where i rubbed with what i think was the reason - arnica.  i stopped, and it slowly went away.  then i tried another tube of it, and at first no rash, but have slowly gotten one again...more intense under some tape i'd been using to hold silicone sheets in place...ive since stopped using the arnica again

Offline lowt

• Posting Member

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
ya, a gel.  and i was prescribed the pill form too for the first week.  i have what you may call sensitive skin to begin with...a lot of soaps if they have scents or deodrants etc...so who knows...ill save my money though, and just use vitamin E gel.

Offline PeterBateman

• Gold Member
didnt have any tape on me, and no probs with latex...im sure the prob is with arnica...just wish this whole post op was over with....!!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024