Author Topic: Does melatonin cause gynecomastia?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Dear Doctors,

Does melatonin cause gynecomastia. I had pubertal gynecomastia until I had a successful surgery done last year to remove the tissue. 5 days ago, I started taking melatonin as I have difficulty sleeping sometimes. Should I continue with the melatonin or ditch it? I really don't want to get gynecomastia again.

Thank you

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
This is the first time I've encountered this question and I've been here for years.

If there was a significant relationship, I think it would be a common topic.
Grandpa Dan

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Hi Paa_Paw,

Thanks for your reassurance. I read on an online medical journal that in 1999, a man in his fifties (i might have gotten the age wrong) developed gynecomastia after taking melatonin. Apparently, the gynecomastia started to disappear once he stopped taking melatonin. As for me, I had gynecomastia until I had it successfully removed last december at the age of 19.  Prior to that, I never took melatonin. In fact, I only started taking it in mid-January and stopped taking it in late Jan when I came across the aforementioned journal. A few days after my gynecomastia surgery, I had a full hormone test (the doctor referred to it as a something panel - can't remember the full name) and the results indicated that i was perfectly fine. The last times I took melatonin was on 29th Mar (the date of my original post) and 2 days ago. So right now, I feel confused.

Thanks

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024