Author Topic: should i stop doing chest exercises?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline RavenFan61

I'm 16 and i've had gynecomastia for as long as i can remember. i play football and my freshman year i lost a considerable amount of weight, but my gyno remained. i'm currently a junior and my gyno is stilll present. i work out as often as 5 times a week and target ever muscle group (including my chest) and the damn things won't go away.

At this point i'm just considering surgery. i've heard that they may go away by the time i turn 18 but i've also heard that if they remain for longer than a three year period (i've had them since about 6th grade) they'll remain.

My main goal until i can muster up money for surgery is to hide my gyno. should i stop doing chest workouts, to prevent my breasts from further protruding?   

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I'm 16 and i've had gynecomastia for as long as i can remember.

If you have had gyne a long time then all odds are that waiting another two years will not hurt you -- but don't expect them to suddenly disappear because you have reached magical 18 years old.

You are correct -- surgery will eventually be the definitive treatment for you.  In the meanwhile, keep up your exercise regimen -- that can only be beneficial.  However, would recommend a firm chest compression garment to give you a better shape while you are waiting.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Mark102

• Silver Member
Haha, we are both Ravens fans and struggle with gyne.

I have been doing chest exercises too and they seem to tone out the chest as I lose weight, I try not to build too much chest muscle, so I only do about 20 push ups a day, no bench press, etc.

If you are losing weight with cardio while weight lifting, I would break from strenuous chest exercises and just focus on losing weight and see if fat comes off of your chest.

Offline Celts

• Bronze Member
Im pretty sure if you keep training cheast and lowering your bodyfat level, when the time comes to have surgery it will be easier for the surgeon and you will have overall better results.  Happy to be corrected.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024