Author Topic: my insecurities  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Ronnie

I’m scheduled to have a colectomy surgery next week which required having a preop examination at the hospital. When I removed my shirt so the technician could attach the tabs for the EKG she was obviously disgusted by my boobs and left the room. A few minutes later another nurse finished the examination. My primary care physician has taken chest X-rays and once a year his nurse reminds me what she’s looking for as she performs my breast exam. I thought I was past the age of being embarrassed but now I’m freaked out about being having surgery with my chest in full view of doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists.  When I’m lying down my boobs flatten out and spread out to the side so they’re somewhat less noticeable.  Should I talk to my surgeon about my insecurities or just let it happen?

Ronnie

Offline FredL

• Silver Member
I developed a welt on my back about 10 years ago. I thought it was just a pimple, at some time I would be able to squeeze it and it would go away. That didn't happen, it just grew very slowly. After a year wife started commenting that she could see it through my shirt and that it grossed her out when we hugged. One day a friend patted me on the back and said "what the hell is that!!?".

My wife kept telling me to have it removed, but I just kept putting it off. More years passed. I couldn't get comfortable in a hard backed chair because of the big bump. My wife asked me why I wouldn't take care of it and I made my big confession. I don't want to take my shirt off in front of people. That was my honest reason. I hadn't gone for a physical exam for over a decade for that reason. She responded by saying that all doctors treat people with "unique" bodies. My boobs are nothing compared to extremely overweight people or old people. And she was right. I scheduled the surgery and the people were all professional, they could not care less about my boobs. At the follow up appointments I had to pull my shirt off, so I just tightened my chest and stood up straight. It's the best you can do. It didn't even matter, the Dr was a big guy with his own body issues. I Should have had that bump removed earlier, my reason for putting it off was so unnecessary.

Online blad

The last few times I had surgery they would have seen the outline of my bra imprint, and removed all doubt anyway. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

gmast

Should I talk to my surgeon about my insecurities or just let it happen?
If you are concerned that you will get lesser care because you have boobs, you should talk to your surgeon.  You should be able to find a surgeon that is will provide proper care.  If you concern is your self esteem because someone may not like or respect you because you have boobs, you might want to look into seeing a therapist.  Avoiding taking care of you physical health because you are worried about someones opinion is not a good way to go through life.  

Offline SideSet

I have been there. 

Offline hatingdaboobs

• Posting Member
You are not alone , I haven't taken my shirt off around anyone including parents since I was 10 years old unless I absolutely had too. I only go to a doctor when I think i'm dying. 

Offline Busty

I think I am as shy about showing my breasts as most women are. 

Offline SideSet

Ronnie, I had not realized you posted almost a year ago  about your wife saying you should start wearing a bra.   If you took her up on your suggestion, then there will be marks  from your bra on your skin. You may want to go braless for a day or so before you go for your medical procedure just to make sure those marks go away.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024