Author Topic: bench press  (Read 11017 times)

Offline elcrep

• Silver Member
  • 16 years old in london
many people agree that bench press is bad for those with gynecomastia because the muscle pushes out the gland further.

however i am aware that bench press with elevation (not lying flat, but slightly raised) targets other areas of the pectoral.

Am i right in thinking that the higher the level of elevation, the higher up the target area of pectoral on the body?

my gynecomastia is right at the bottom of the pectoral, so targeting the upper pectoral will help i think

Offline elcrep

• Silver Member
  • 16 years old in london
i've heard doing press ups with your feet on the bench works other areas

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Have a look at the anatomy map of the pectoralis, and you'll soon udnerstand that the whole hting is involved in all chestexercises.

Offline Hefner33

• Bronze Member
i bench press 225 and not had surgery and have bad gyne
"I can Do ALL Things Through him who Strengthens Me"

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
Incline bench presses target the upper chest
Flat bench presses target the middle chest
Decline bench presses target the lower chest

Combined with the above,
Wide grip emphasises the outer chest
Close grip emphasises the inner chest

Push ups....are too easy and don't do shit.  You body gets conditioned to them very quickly.
Save them for the swimming pool change room or before you go to the beach.
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline PhillyPUFF

• Silver Member
Incline bench presses target the upper chest
Flat bench presses target the middle chest
Decline bench presses target the lower chest

Combined with the above,
Wide grip emphasises the outer chest
Close grip emphasises the inner chest

Push ups....are too easy and don't do shit.  You body gets conditioned to them very quickly.
Save them for the swimming pool change room or before you go to the beach.

Good post. Just be careful about having too close a grip when doing the bench press. You will begin incorporating your shoulders/triceps into the movement and you'll take some the emphasis off your chest. I like to stay wide on all chest movements. Most guys who are slaves to their bench press numbers will have a much closer grip. Of course they can put up more weight - they're using more muscles in the movement. Go wide. Really feel it in your chest. Remember: Its not how much you lift, its how much you look like you lift.

Also, switch up your routine by using various dumbbell movements as well. Dumbbell press, dumbbell flies (both can be done flat,inline,or decline)

TRAIN HARD

Offline TigerKneeCrush

• Posting Member
  • Muay Thai King
    • Facebook
idk but after my 2 liposuctions on the left side it hurts when i bench press

Offline Clandestine

• Bronze Member
To clarify, bench press is NOT a chest exercise. It's a compound movement involving your chest shoulders and triceps, no matter the grip or the angle of incline/decline. It will build a muscular pectoral, but it'll do wonders for your shoulders and tri's too. Your lats, rhomboids and traps are used to an extent too, making it a great all round upper body exercise.

Any movement you do envolving a pushing motion will use these muscles to some extent. I really can't see how narrowing your grip will allow for more weight to be lifted. Doing this will reduce function of the pecorals in the exercise and place more strain on triceps. My chest is certainly stronger than my tri's.

Any how, better to have some decent chest muscle and practical strength than none, no matter if it pushes your gyne out a bit.

I'm currently doing a 3 day split weights program and cardio 5 days a week. down to 206lb from 240 in ~15 weeks. For the last four weeks my weight has stayed the same, yet I've lost another inch and a half off my stomach  ;D Don't just benchpress, start a full training program. you can do whole body twice a week if you like rather than 3 trips to the gym.

Offline TigerKneeCrush

• Posting Member
  • Muay Thai King
    • Facebook
yeah i'm an MMA fighter

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024