Author Topic: Cosmetic surgeon vs. Plastic surgeon  (Read 8270 times)

Offline theprodikalson

• Posting Member
Does someone have a clear differentiation between a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon?
Is one more fit than the other to do a gynecomastia procedure?
Peace and Love

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i always thought the terms were interchangeable.  the main thing though is you want somebody who has a good specialization or solid experience in gyne and the esthetic techniques to conceal the visibility afterwards.  if the person only does a handful of ops a year, look elsewhere. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline freefromG

• Bronze Member
yep don't make the mistake of going with the Dr. who although might be a great surgeon with all the credentials does not do these on a very frequent basis. I did and although you may get an improvement, sometimes either some visable gland is left or you can end up with crater deformities on your chest which can be as frustrating as the gyne itself. unfortunately i have a divot that is still quite tender and was not worth having for the money paid. have no idea if it is fixable and how much it would cost.

Offline theprodikalson

• Posting Member

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think that there was a time when the two terms were more or less interchangeable but not much so these days.

In modern usage, I think that Plastic surgery would be the term if the primary goal of surgery was to restore function to a body part that had been severely damaged or to gain function in a part that was severely deformed. Obviously the surgeon wants the work to look good but the main objective is function.

With cosmetic surgery, there is sometimes also an element of restorative work but the primary goal is appearance rather than function.

The surgeon who repaired my hand after an accident with a chain saw was a plastic surgeon, but not a cosmetic surgeon. Incidentally, he did a great job I continued to work as a mechanic and technician for another 30 years and enjoyed good dexterity.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most fully trained plastic surgeons are proud to call themselves a plastic surgeon.

There are many doctors who call themselves a "cosmetic surgeon" -- not all of them are fully trained plastic surgeons.  They may be dermatologists, ENT surgeons, and even OB-Gyn surgeons.  Even family doctors and dentists are doing cosmetic procedures (if they can convince a patient to do it!).  They may be "Board Certified" in their specialty, but not in the specialty of Plastic Surgery.  In fact, many of these doctors have formed a non-AMA approved board called the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.  You can join by simply making an application.  And in return, you receive a large, beautiful certificate with ribbons and gold stamps.  Very attractive and impressive -- but not worth the paper it is printed on.

Bottom line:  not all cosmetic surgeons are fully trained plastic surgeons, but some plastic surgeons may call themselves cosmetic surgeons.  Caveat emptor -- let the buyer beware! Check your surgeon's credentials very carefully.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline freefromG

• Bronze Member
a 'divot' in my terminology is a depression where fat has been removed that did not need to be, i suppose thru the incision fat is pulled out with the gland or god forbid mistaken as gland. I hear this can also happen with lipo.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
There are many doctors who call themselves a "cosmetic surgeon" -- not all of them are fully trained plastic surgeons.  They may be dermatologists, ENT surgeons, and even OB-Gyn surgeons.  Even family doctors and dentists are doing cosmetic procedures (if they can convince a patient to do it!).  They may be "Board Certified" in their specialty, but not in the specialty of Plastic Surgery.  In fact, many of these doctors have formed a non-AMA approved board called the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.  You can join by simply making an application.  And in return, you receive a large, beautiful certificate with ribbons and gold stamps.  Very attractive and impressive -- but not worth the paper it is printed on.

Dr Jacobs

That is insane!!!   :o :o :o

I've heard that A GP can take a weekend crash course in 'Cosmetic Surgery' and then be 'deemed' a qualified Cosmetic Surgeon... That is just wrong IMO!!!

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member
a weekend crash course!! are you serious!!!  Wow!!

Fluffy( o )v( o )...
My before and after surgery pics: Leave a comment if you look!! (HAD THE WRONG LINK UP! THIS IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE PICS)
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19342.0

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Yeah, I read in a local newspaper (Brampton/Toronto, Ontario Canada) a year or two ago, that a Family Physician (GP) could take a 'Weekend Crash Course' (that's what the article said) in Cosmetic Surgery and then be 'deemed' a Cosmetic Surgeon...   :o :o :o  The entire article was about warning people about how GP's are jumping on the 'Band Wagon' with the recent 'upsurge' in Cosmetic Surgical procedures.

However...

The onus is on the prospective patient to do his/her homework on the considered surgeon. We need to check out their credentials and ask questions like.....  "How long have you been performing this procedure", "On a yearly basis, how many of these procedures do you perform?"... "What is your medical training background in relation to Cosmetic Surgery?"

Would you really want a GP with just 2 days training in Cosmetic Surgery to operate on you:o :o :o

There's no excuse for 'not being aware' now that the Web is in the mainstream... We can so easily check out an individual surgeon and his/her credentials. However, one thing that sways some people from making a rational decision on which surgeon to choose is $$$$$. An inexperienced surgeon may sell his/her Cosmetic Surgery services at a low price to entice prospective patients... and people fall for this tactic! "Oh, I got a great deal on my cosmetic surgery!!!". However, when things go wrong, body parts get gangreen, or people die as a result, it's only then, that questions are asked...

People who go 'cheap', or don't do their homework, and then cry the blues when something goes wrong, do not get my sympathies...

Anyways, enough of my rant...

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!!!

Have a good one kids!!!  ;)

GB...

Offline fluffy_tits

• Gold Member

Yeah, I read in a local newspaper (Brampton/Toronto, Ontario Canada) a year or two ago, that a Family Physician (GP) could take a 'Weekend Crash Course' (that's what the article said) in Cosmetic Surgery and then be 'deemed' a Cosmetic Surgeon...   :o :o :o  The entire article was about warning people about how GP's are jumping on the 'Band Wagon' with the recent 'upsurge' in Cosmetic Surgical procedures.

However...

The onus is on the prospective patient to do his/her homework on the considered surgeon. We need to check out their credentials and ask questions like.....  "How long have you been performing this procedure", "On a yearly basis, how many of these procedures do you perform?"... "What is your medical training background in relation to Cosmetic Surgery?"

Would you really want a GP with just 2 days training in Cosmetic Surgery to operate on you:o :o :o

There's no excuse for 'not being aware' now that the Web is in the mainstream... We can so easily check out an individual surgeon and his/her credentials. However, one thing that sways some people from making a rational decision on which surgeon to choose is $$$$$. An inexperienced surgeon may sell his/her Cosmetic Surgery services at a low price to entice prospective patients... and people fall for this tactic! "Oh, I got a great deal on my cosmetic surgery!!!". However, when things go wrong, body parts get gangreen, or people die as a result, it's only then, that questions are asked...

People who go 'cheap', or don't do their homework, and then cry the blues when something goes wrong, do not get my sympathies...

GB...

you are appsolutely "spelling" correct on that GB, people should def. do their homework!!  That should be the first thing they do before even going to get an consulation done so they would know what to look for out of a doctor and stuff yah kno!  I did alot of reading and research before my decision and when i was talkin to my doctor and he was explaining things to me i knew he was the right one and everything felt good!! and I seen pics of his work also and he gave me his number if i had anymore questions leading up to the surgery!!

Fluffy( o )v ( o )...

Offline theprodikalson

• Posting Member
However...

GB...

On this Friday, the 15th, I am scheduled with a local doctor in New York doing smart Lipo and gland removal...
I am paying 3500 for everything and very enticed by the money I am saving and the fact that I can will have a normal chest now than later when I could probably afford a more experienced surgeon.

The doctor is a cosmedic surgeon, but after looking into his credentials it was a lot more than a weekend course he had to go through [Thank GoD! (Thanks Dr. Jacobs for motivating me to really thoroughly research his credentials)]

I am well aware of the risk of having bad results because he has not performed as many procedures as other surgeons, but I am sure there was a time when all these experienced surgeons had their very FIRST case.  They may have given a better rate to get experience and did a case that was not as complicated.

I cant say I have the testicular fortitude to be the first patient of a plastic surgeon, but in my case I have seen before and after photos the surgeon worked on, that had more developed cases of gyno.

I am extremely nervous as it is, but  I am willing to go through with it and run on a beach this summer listening to chariots of fire!

Here is a Picture of my Gyne so you can judge if it something that would be a complicated procedure.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Let me preface this comment by disclaiming myself as a board certified plastic surgeon. I guess this makes me somewhat biased but it does not change the facts. The facts are plastic surgeons are trained breast surgery. The AMA (American Medical Association) is the regulating body of all doctors. The AMA does not recognize cosmetic surgeons as being trained in breast surgery. In fact, the AMA does not recognize cosmetic surgeons at all. Cosmetic surgeons are a group of doctors who have decided to call themselves "cosmetic surgeons" to give themselves some type of credibility in the eyes of the public.
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
Most fully trained plastic surgeons are proud to call themselves a plastic surgeon.
Bottom line:  not all cosmetic surgeons are fully trained plastic surgeons...
almost legal one, but a very interesting distinction with a lot of difference, i had no idea.   :o

Offline theprodikalson

• Posting Member
So I had the procedure done on Friday with a cosmetic surgeon.  I was extremely nervous and awake for the entire thing... there is a picture from today..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024