Author Topic: Post-Op Exercise?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline canadianmoobs123

• Bronze Member
I know this has already been adressed multiple times but I wanna start working out early! Is there any major risk if I start going for runs about 10 days post op?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Obviously, only you and your surgeon are aware of the actual extent of your operation.  However, as a general rule for my patients, I ask them to refrain from strenuous exercise for a minimum of 4 weeks after surgery ... and then do whatever they want to do.  Other surgeons may differ.

The problem with exercise is not the exercise itself -- but the increase in your blood pressure during exercise.  That can cause increased swelling in the operated area and theoretically could open a blood vessel under the skin that had been sealed during the operation (this could lead to a delayed collection of blood under the skin -- a hematoma).  And then it becomes a mess to deal with. 

I have had a few patients who couldn't wait for the month -- and they ended up back in surgery to drain the hematoma.

Best to speak about this to your surgeon and get his clearance before resuming exercise.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Jacobs mentioned, the problem in the early post-operative period is a rise in blood pressure, which could cause bleeding.  Usually, the risk for this is significantly diminished after a week.  As such, I am fairly aggressive with my patients, presuming that everything has gone perfectly after surgery.  There are details of how I approach this on my website under "Getting Back to Training."  I allow cardio after a week, and weight training after two weeks, no chest for 4 weeks.  I have never had a patient develop a post-operative complication with this approach.  Nonetheless, you should discuss it with your surgeon before doing anything.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery