Author Topic: Lipo only? (pics)  (Read 1839 times)

Offline crossfit99

• Silver Member
Sorry Docs if I seem to be bugging with all the questions. I am a very thorough person and do A LOT of research before I do little things in life, let alone chose a surgeon to get rid of a complex I've had since I could remember.

I am 27 years old and, have battled this stuff since I can remember. Dodging each and every pool party, water park get together, beach trip etc since about 6th grade. When I graduated HS I had enough, I was about 6' 230 and chubby. Got into construction and started lifting 5x a week. I shot all the way down to 185 and looked pretty damn good with a shirt on. The problem was I STILL would not take my shirt off for the life of me.

Through the years I have continued to work out, diet has gone on and off, but I keep in the gym at LEAST 2-3x a week; I now have a Wife and Child so time isn't as easy to come by. I recent picked up crossfit hoping to shed a few lbs, which I have but again, the chest is, what it is. I am 6' about 235 right now but MUCH more solid and strong than I was back in the hs days. -- I take HORRIBLE photos, which in this case is good because it exaggerates my chest and even makes me look a little heavier than what I appear on a day to day basis. Anyway, I have seen 3 docs now. 1 seemed like he didn't know wtf he was talking about, other was way high in price, and lastly the one I went to yesterday said he thought that lipo only would do the trick. The only reason I even gave it the time of day is because he did this procedure on my buddy and it actually came out really nice.

When I mentioned (to doc#3) about excision, he said yea but then you have to worry about the scarring etc etc. When I told him i've seen hundreds of before/after photos and that wasn't a chief concern he then said sure, we can do excision. At that point I said what about excision+lipo, and he started to agree again. I felt like I was the doc at this point. He's a board certified plastic surgeon, but I just get the feeling he isn't all that comfortable with doing the excision. He didn't have ANY before/after photos which didn't make me feel good either, I think he was just hanging his hat on the fact I was referred..not sure.

Anyway, for those that maybe only had lipo, do you regret it? Maybe docs can chime in after seeing my photos to let me know. -- My main concern was the fact it seems the gland is what pushes the nip out and makes them more puffy, so losing the fat would be great, but I do NOT want puffy nipples anymore after the surgery.. Let me know what you guys think. I also posted a pic with my shirt on (notice its a compression like shirt to hold chest tight) to put things in perspective, because I really don't feel as fat as some of these pics make me look lol.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I can't really comment on the thought processes of the surgeons you've seen.  When I discuss surgery with patients, I typically presume that I will use a combination of liposuction and direct excision of sub-areolar tissue. On rare occasion, I don't need to do excision, but in most cases I do, and I plan accordingly.  The scars are typically not a problem in most patients. 

Based on your photos, I would expect that you should get a nice result, but you want to be treated by a surgeon who treats gynecomastia frequently and is comfortable with it.  I'm not sure you've found that surgeon yet.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com