Author Topic: Alternatives to surgery: meds, exercise, etc  (Read 1471 times)

Offline hare

• Posting Member
So I have finasteride-induced gyno which hasn't gone away after I quit the fin years ago. Miraculously, my hair loss never resumed following cessation of fin. But the gyno hasn't gotten better, hasn't gotten worse. When I press down on my chest I can feel glands and despite exercise including muscle gains and mild weight loss, protrusions remain visible at 160lb/5'10" especially when shirtless. I want to consider alternatives to surgery and would like to hear people's recommendations and personal success stories following use of certain drugs they used to treat their gyno, such as tamoxifen etc. Can they be easily prescribed for gyno, how well did they work, how long did it take, do you have to keep taking it, what side effects did you experience, any other recommendations, etc. Thank you.

edit: also see below regarding exercises/etc
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:33:36 AM by hare »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It has been my experience that established Finasteride induced gynecomastia will not respond to any medications, including Tamox.  The only remedy is surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline hare

• Posting Member
Recurrence rate 10 years post-surgery is 12.5%. That's pretty high. I was warned only ~1% of finasteride users develop gyno yet I still got it. I'm wondering what else I can do to reduce its appearance. How productive are further weight loss and/or chest strengthening exercises? Any specific exercises or other actions recommended?

Offline rebcho

• Posting Member
Compression shirts and or minimizing bras.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024