Author Topic: Wingman's Surgery w/Levick, Pictures Pre, Post and Of Surgery - One year later  (Read 43179 times)

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I just took my arnica as instructed.  Karidis advises starting following the op but I think loading up on arnica coulda been the one.  A good tip I found was to write down on a pad what meds and at what time you are taking them, cos believe me...you will lose track, what with all that is going on etc..

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Man, I'm "almost" envious in a weird way ;)  that feeling, the night before....I've never ever had a feeling like it.  And you guys are getting it now.  And I was exactly like you lot, calm and serene.  My friend was like..."You are handling this really well"  I just focused on the result and the journey of healing rather than the procedure itself.  Think that's just they way you have to do it.  Bit like riding a bike, you gotta look a long way ahead and the bike follows, if you look straight down at the deck while riding...well, you know ;)

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
@Nipper - I'll need some sort of system to work with, as I'll probably be a complete mess!

Man, I'm "almost" envious in a weird way ;)  that feeling, the night before....I've never ever had a feeling like it.  And you guys are getting it now.  And I was exactly like you lot, calm and serene.  My friend was like..."You are handling this really well"  I just focused on the result and the journey of healing rather than the procedure itself.  Think that's just they way you have to do it.  Bit like riding a bike, you gotta look a long way ahead and the bike follows, if you look straight down at the deck while riding...well, you know ;)

It's certainly an incredibly strange feeling. I've had this issue for half of my entire life, and now, I'm mere hours from having it corrected forever. I literally feel as though from tomorrow, I'll be able to live my life without worry. The irony is, straight after tomorrow, I'll be mostly house bound for a while!

Healing is my biggest concern. Luckily I work a desk job and have very little strenuous activity. I dislike this normally, but with my surgery coming up, it's going to be a God send. I have booked a week off, to go back Thursday 4th Oct.

My management know of my operation. Any of you guys told your work colleagues?
All of my immediate family know, my best friend knows (and her parents), and my sisters boyfriend. Two weeks ago, I hadn't mentioned a word of concern about my gyne to a soul on this planet.

Follow my Twitter: www.twitter.com/wingman0401

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I told my then girlfriend, a lady friend and most recently my brother.  All of whom were like., eh? huh?  I never noticed.  So, I am not telling anyone else unless it comes up or makes a great anecdote for parties ;)

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Man, I wish I had done it in my 20's.  But, dunno if I would have went through or if I would have even got a decent job done back then, so maybe just as well I never.   I used to kid myself it wasn't that bad. hah, what a mug!  The things you tell yourself when you suffer from this are ridiculous.    And I feel like I could handle a familiar desk job 8 days post so with luck so should you mate, no worries.

Offline adamj

• Silver Member
Yeah I should really start telling people. There's only my mum on this planet that knows about it (that I've met face to face!). My best mate (also house mate) is going to wonder why I'm not up for going out, or why I've suddenly stopped cycling to work. I need to either come out with it or make some excuses! He might even notice ha!

Made the mistake of not telling my work colleagues and have to work on Friday, it's a new job so didn't want to ask for time off at the time. What an error.

Good luck

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
If it's a few days post you may get away with it if it's a desk job, but I wouldn't advise it.  Milling about near other people etc.  I met a lady I know in Tescos the other day, she gave me a little embrace, felt like she was body barging me! 

Offline Ricardo7

• Silver Member
Wingman, I wish you the very best of luck mate.

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
Thank you my friend!

Surgery is now complete, arrived at The Priory Hospital at 7:40AM this morning and was greeted by the very pleasant staff. I was showed to my room shortly thereafter, really great room, comfortable etc.

I was given my dashing gown, green stockings and paper pants! Put it all on and was taken down to surgery at around half 10.

It all went like clockwork, that's the only way I can describe it. Every member of staff has been incredibly polite and caring. I can't remember what time I woke up, I had a hard time properly coming round afterwards (harsh throat, still very sleepy) but now, as at time of writing (19:00) I am feeling great. I've had two, three course meals and plenty of water and coffee. The day has literally flown by. It was made more awesome by this forums member "Ollie" being here too, he's been to check on me a couple of times! His surgery was an hour prior to mine.

Well I'm all bandaged up, and mobility is fairly decent considering. Rubbish on television but I'm not a big fan of tv anyway.

My writing might not be up to scratch so may edit this tomorrow afternoon when I'm home but just wanted to 'check in' as it were.

To the others getting theirs done today, I wish you all a happy and speedy recovery. Thanks again to all previous forum posters here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:23:35 AM by wingman »

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Grats mate!  Now sit back and take it easy :)

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
Home now, was discharged from hospital at around 10AM along with Ollie who left shortly before me. All in all a great experience, one that I don't look back on with regret. I've made myself comfortable at home now. Mobility is really good considering I am one day post op. Total shame me and Ollie missed the girls down the hall getting boob jobs! Nurses said they looked really good.

Great care from the anesthetist and all other nurses involved, including and especially the main man Dr Levick himself who never let the mood down. Always happy, smiling and chirpy. The kind of attitude required for such a life changing event. When I was walked to the operating theater I was well looked after and, although anxious, was never made to feel nervous. This might be a combination of having GA when I was younger and knowing what I was having done now is for the best, but a great deal of my "remaining calm" was due to the staff. I literally do not have a bad word to say about any of this experience.

When I eventually came round in the recovery room I felt groggy and very rude as the nurse who was caring for me was so very polite and I could barely string a sentence together, I guess they are used to this. I must've slept for about an hour and a half after this, before being greeted with lunch. After this, I was asked to sit up for a bit and try and walk round. Visiting the little boys room proved to be somewhat difficult due to my bladder still being half asleep. As the hours rolled on it became somewhat easier.

No pain for the majority of the first day and night at all. If anything I felt very good in myself, and as Ollie said to me, the great sense of natural "euphoria" of being "on the other side" seemed to collapse any other doubt either of us had.

This morning I felt a little worse, sore round the edges if you will. Having the drains taken out is possibly the most uncomfortable part of the entire procedure as it's such an alien feeling. Pending your pain threshold I cannot see this being a problem for most, and the pain you will notice doesn't last more than a few moments.

Hats off to the staff at the Priory Hospital in Birmingham. I can highly recommend the care at that place. Very easy to find and navigate, the food was fantastic quality (so much so, that even with my feeling of nausea, I still managed to wolf down my first lunch).

I will try to get a picture or two up later of the bandages, not that it's that interesting but just for completion of this journal. I'll update where necessary and wish everyone else who is going for their corrective surgery the very best of luck. Thank you for all the support on here, I cannot express my gratitude enough.

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
There's a lot of swelling on my left side, Levick had confirmed my left side was worse.

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Hey man, glad to hear it all went so swimmingly for you and ollie.  Now sit back and relax mate, you've earned it ;)  

Ha, no knocking out sets of 21's on that Ez bar for a while mate!

I'll be keeping an eye out for you when you take the dressing off in about a week congrats and well done wingman!

Offline wingman

• Silver Member
    • My Twitter
Haha, thanks Nipper! I'll try not to be tempted to lift the barbell!  ;D

Day 2 post op now.

Managed to get about four hours of sleep last night (which beats the first nights 0 hours).

I'm feeing a bit stiff and sorry for myself. Levick's bandages are quite intrusive for those who've had surgery with him, and do not make for easy movement at all. Will keep all updated with my progress. I am going to be taking the bandages off on Wednesday the 3rd October. Quite anxious about seeing my chest!

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Hmm, bit of a shame that technique, as with Dr K, you get a brief glimpse 24hrs after when you change plasters.  Looks like it's doing a good job of keeping things nice and tight and safe for your first week anyway.  I'm 11 days post now, and it has absolutely flown by, keep busy on here mate and get out for walks after a few days if you feel up to it. 

It's a mew world out there for you now man, and no walk or activity is ever going to be plain boring again.  I swear, it's just like you got a life upgrade.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024