Author Topic: Zoloft Induced Gynecomastia  (Read 14812 times)

Offline Lee1190

• Posting Member
I have minor gynecomastia so I went to see a physician about a week ago. I've been taking Zoloft since I was 13-14ish and I'm 19 about to turn 20 now. I just got done weening off of it and I can't really tell if they're shrinking or not, but they do seem a little smaller (Maybe it's in my head.) I have 2 questions...

1. If Zoloft is what caused it how long until they start to shrink noticably? And if it was Zoloft induced would it go away completely?

2. How likely is it that Zoloft is it that caused it?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
While there are some listed sexual side effects, Gynecomastia is missing from the list of side effects. Key words to look for are "Breast sensitivity" and "Breast enlargement."

If Gynecomastia is caused by a drug, removing the drug will often allow the tissue to shrink back if the offending drug is removed soon enough. Your long term use of Zoloft would not fit that criteria of quickly removing the offending drug.

The simple truth is that the condition is very common and most often the precise cause is never found.

We live in a time when it seems like everyone is looking for a reason for everything. I think that intellectual curiosity is a good thing but we will not always find a cause for everything. Blame your parents, you got their genes. Just kidding, but really there is very little possibility that you will find a cause.

If you find the condition bothersome, surgery is the only effective way to get rid of it.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Lee1190

• Posting Member
If you find the condition bothersome, surgery is the only effective way to get rid of it.

Are you sure about this?

I say this because the glands seem to be getting smaller. I went to see my phsyician and he said the same thing. Is there anyway that it's possible they may continue to shrink and I won't have to have surgery?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Resolution of Gynecomastia that has been stabilized for over 2 years would have to be very rare. This is not to say it could not happen though.

If the drug was inducing the problem, there could indeed be some resolution of the Gynecomastia when the drug was withdrawn. This shrinkage will take place slowly though so your best action would be to do nothing but be patient for a season and see what happens.

Offline Lee1190

• Posting Member
I'll try that. If it doesn't shrink anymore in 6 months I've decided to have surgery done. How much money am I looking at paying?

And as far as the reduced size of the gyno goes, it came back to normal today. However, do you think maybe my pinching and whatnot of the gland has irritated it so it swells up a little? It doesn't hurt, but is this possible?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:08:01 AM by Lee1190 »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is a very thin layer of muscular tissue just under the shin that behave in a somewhat erectile manner. That is to say that some forms of stimulation will cause it to tense up or become erect. The stimuli could be clothing rubbing, temperature changes and anything else you might think of. It would cause the condition to be more apparent at different times. This is normal.

Dr.s usually stipulate that pictures should be taken in a warm room, in specific postures, and without stimulating the breast etc. in order to get a consistent impression. Otherwise the condition seems to be constantly changing. 

Offline TheOregonKid

• Posting Member
The fact that you started taking the Zoloft during the height of puberty (12-14) makes it hard to tell what factor the medication may have played in your breast development, if any at all.  Zoloft does not mention gynecomastia in its side effects.  I was completely flat chested until age 20 when a doctor put me on Risperdal/Zyprexa.  Thats when the gyno started so I know for a fact that it was medicationally induced; especially since natural onset of glandular gyno after puberty is so rare.
“Whoever despises himself still esteems the despiser within himself” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline dbg

• Posting Member
My gynecomastia was fully present by the time I was 13, and shortly afterwards I went on an anti-depressent called Pamelor for a year.  About one year after that (age 15) I went on Zoloft until I was 18, and have been off these medications for 14 years. 

At no point did I notice my gyne get better or worsen in the time I was on and off these meds.  In fact, the year that I was off of these med (age 14) I was playing football in high school and was probably the most in shape I had ever been.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024