Author Topic: 4 months post op - hard, raised, internal (hypertrophic?) scarring around areola  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
I had gynecomastia surgery about four months ago.  Excision and lipo.

For the record, I wore a compression vest the first month and then started applying emu oil and topical Vitamin E.  The results were good but shortly after surgery I noticed a weird red bump on the outter side of each areola, turned out to be, it appears, keloids.  Other than that, for the first several weeks or so everything seemed to be great, but then I noticed a raised hardening around each areola where the incision was, and over the past couple months it seems to have gotten a bit worse.  What's really bad about it is that, particularly on the right side, it's so pronounced that it kind of pushes the whole areola out, making them kind of 'puffy'.  I'm assuming it's hypertrophic scarring.  The thing is it doesn't look like scarring, meaning the outter skin looks fine, it's something there appears to just be underneath the skin. (this is excluding the keloids of course).  

I found this one website (cosmetic-md.com/gynecomastia/information/recovering-from-gynecomastia-surgery - won't let me post a full url, you can add the www) that says hypertrophic scarring doesn't happen in the majority of gyno patients, but then describes exactly what I have as hard inner "donut" scarring and says that it's very common and usually disappears a few months after surgery.  So is that something that's different from hypertrophic scarring?  Anyone else here experience this?

About five weeks ago I started applying a liquid silicone scar treatment to the area 2-3x a day, and a few weeks later switched to silicone patches because they seem to be more popular but I don't like them as I have a really difficult time making them stay on.  A few days ago I switched primarily to applying tea tree oil and emu oil and massaging them in.  I'll probably be going back to the liquid silicone treatments and ditching the patches.  Can't say I've really noticed any improvement at all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:29:19 PM by Fat-Elvis »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024